Ben asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Why do my dog's eat so much?

I have a German Shepherd and a Lab/Pitbull mix both just under a year old. How many bowls of food are they supposed to eat a day? 2 months ago it was 1 was enough, now they're up to 3!

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

i think he loves to eat

• 2 months ago

Because it is necessary for them to grow and stay healthy. Feeding and diet patterns can vary a lot depending on how big they have grown. For example, the Pitbull Rottweiler mix needs to be fed three times a day or twice a day for busy pet owners, one in the morning and one in the evening.

• TK
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Your dogs are still growing.  Commercial dog foods vary in how much they recommend a dog eats so read the container.  

• 2 months ago

should be on a breakfast meal and tea meal so x2 meals a day

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You follow the guidelines on the bag of dog food.  You'll need to know how much your dog weighs to figure out how much to feed them.  They will tell you how much a dog needs each day & you divide that in half & feed one half in the morning & the second half in the afternoon or evening.  The instructions are on the bag.

• 2 months ago

While numerous canines are essentially food persuaded, an expanded hunger can likewise be an indication of a few medical problems. A portion of the medical problems that may prompt unquenchable craving, or polyphagia.

• 2 months ago

It should have been the other way round...  a young dog eats more than an adult who has stopped growing not that yours have but will be slowing down a little now.  

You don't just give them 'what they want'  but you do give them 'what they need'.

I hope this doesn't mean that you are 'free feeding' and just leaving food out as you will find that one doesn't get enough and the other will get fat.

Get set feeding times and watch that they stay on their own and go by the bag for their weight for what they need.   

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

All mutts care about is food. You give it food and it will expect more.

If you didn't feed your mutt why would it stay?

Visit i hate dogs on youtube he tells the truth about worthless mutts, mentally ill owners and how dogs only love food.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

2 large meals a day and leave out some biscuits.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Check with your vet - the activity level, whether neutered status all play a part. Also read the dog food package that will give you guidelines but the amounts are usually quite a bit higher than they need unless they are working or whelping. Dogs will eat 5 times a day if you let them - doesn't mean they need all the food, just what some dogs do. Others you can put a bowl of food out and they will nibble on it for a few days and maintain their weight beautifully. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.