Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 month ago

Are second cousins classed as distant cousins?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Joe
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

"Distant cousin" is a generalization with no meaning.  Guess what?  A second cousin is classed as a second cousin.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

that depends on the culture.

Genetically, there is no guarantee that you share a chromosome with them

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's a gray area. Generally speaking, a distant cousin is a cousin that you don't know them by any regular family contact. They're cousins whom you don't regularly see at holidays and so forth. You may find out about them through family or genealogy or some one-time grand family reunion for your great, great grandmother's 90th birthday or whatever, but they're not cousins you've grown up with as a regular fixture in your extended family. 

Basically, a distant cousin is a cousin who is a stranger to you or who you grew up without knowing personally but may only know about or have found out about. Any cousin that is part of your regular extended family that you know and esteem as family is not considered a distant cousin. So if you grew up knowing your second cousin and seeing your second cousin regularly at family gettogethers and whatnot, that second cousin is a cousin, not a distant cousin, but if you you're 23 and have just found out about this second cousin or are being introduced to this second cousin for the first time such that, while technically family, this person is a stranger to you, then that second cousin is a distant cousin.

It's like "close family" and "distant family." Above all, the word "distant" is more indicative of emotional distance, an emotional distance so great there is little or no emotional attachment, maybe don't even really feel like family at all.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

🥴🙄😊 I dunno. Depends on you. 

I grew up with mine from 1st to 7th. So... theyre close relations.

Doesnt matter how close in dna we are or arent. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Genetically, fairly distant. The closest ancestor they share is great grandparents.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.