How far can a spare tire be driven?

I read online that a spare tire (donut) can only be driven 50-70 miles.

My question is that if I used the spare tire three months ago and drove 30 miles on it. (It was at night and all the places were closed. So, I was forced to drive home.)

If I got a flat tire today, like today literally, can I drive 20 miles on it or do I have another 50-70 miles?

I am not sure if it is 50-70 miles at one time or is it 50-70 miles total.

A donut should be driven a minimal amount of miles until you can get to a tire shop and get the flat tire fixed, and drive it no more than 50 mph.  If the spare is a full sized regular tire on a full sized rim, you can drive on it like any other tire.

ONE USE, even if that is only 1 mile. The ONLY reason 'donut spares' even exist is to reduce weight to comply with government imposed fuel efficiency mandates.

They are designed to be used ONLY to get to the nearest repair shop.

• garry

its an emergency spare , enough to get you home and the flat repaired , also get a proper spare tire so you can use it as a permanent tire ..only reason they have them because it cheaper than a proper tire .

• Sky

It is held to be 50/70 miles in total, after which you should replace it.  So you should be able to get another 20 miles out of it. The clock doesn't reset after each use, it's a total figure.

The ******* thing does not rejuvenate itself once placed back in your trunk.

• You are missing the point of 50-70 miles.. It's not a safe tire to drive on so they want you to get off the road as soon as possible and get a full size tire back on.. It could also cause damage to other parts like the transmission. It can be multi use as long as the tread is safe..

i would ask a mechanic about it

All donut tires I have looked at has this information on the tire. It say 50 MPH and 50 miles. Now I'm sure you could go faster and farther but doing so is a risk not worth taking. 

As long as the tire holds 60 PSI and the tread isn't worn off you can still drive on it. Keep in mind you're not supposed to go over 45 mph on a donut spare.