Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 month ago

Why did Americans not create their own language and instead chose to butcher the English  language ?

39 Answers

Relevance
  • ron h
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

English is the closest thing to a universal 2nd language b/c America spread it. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you had an IQ above 50 you would know that prior to the Revolutionary War "American English" was THE main 'accent' of all Great Britain.

• 1 month ago

Until 1776, Americans were English citizens. What language should we have spoken?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No need to. 

What's your KNOWLEDGE seeking question about a current event? Your question belongs in History or Languages.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • L
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Because most of those, who came hire first, were from England.  They only thing they did do.............is change a lot of the words and phrases.

• 1 month ago

I'm British and I am sure we butcher our language just as well* as anyone else.

Source(s): * Notice I didn't write 'just as good'.
  • 1 month ago

Jefferson proposed that the USA adopt Hebrew as a complete break with Britain.  Not a popular idea.  Modern American accents are a derivation of various regional accents in the British Isles influenced by immigration from German, Slavic and southern European areas, plus African accents in the South.

• 1 month ago

OH GOD YES DO NOT MENTION 'KINDA ;' with films having the actors saying i kinda thought that or i kinda am going home or  it was kinda large or kinda small  or i kinda like that dress or suit ,etc,

• 1 month ago

Americans use it a lot better than we do in the U.K. in my opinion.

• 1 month ago

But actually we did create our own language with a lot of common words.  And the British don't know how to spell anything correctly or know what the proper terminology is for anything.  And they drive on the wrong side of the road, just to be obstinate. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.