Legal advice for car purchase?

Hi all, 

I had purchased a vehicle that was sold as KMs in odometer reading when it’s in fact Miles. 

I have the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement which is a document they provided me upon the sale and it’s got the mileage and the type of odometer reading as KM selected. 

I got the car in July 2019 through a dealership but it didn’t occur to me until today that the reading was actually in miles ...

I haven’t contacted the dealership yet, before I do so I want to know what are my options and legal rights are in this situation? Just looking to see what is the likely outcome of this situation...and if I could be compensated somehow. 

I am in B.C. Canada 

Thank you.

It sounds like you have a good case. I would suggest you first contact the Auto dealership where you purchased the vehicle . If they will not assist you than you should contact the Automobile association of B.C. for assistance. This association represents all the auto dealers in the province and are pretty easy to work with.

I would think that I was deliberately misled by being given a clear indication that the car reading was in KM and not in Miles as stated on the bill of sale..regardless of time passed?  Although I might say I am reasonably satisfied with it, the misrepresentation is that the car was priced accordingly so with the reading being sold as lower, if I’m not mistaken ? 

Also, because of this.. maintenance 

in general so far has been affected as the intervals centered around proper mileage as a whole.. is wrong. Which possibly could bring about a slew of other things.. So far I’ve had to replace the car with a new radiator (amongst other things) as it blew on me while driving..

I have a legitimate document stating the odometer reading and whether if it’s in KM or miles. With a proper contract such as this I sure do hope that something can be done.. 

Effectively it has fewer miles than you thought?  Or more?

• ?

Since you bought the car 18 months ago, it's reasonable to assume you are satisfied with it.  The description of the car was inaccurate and that could have invalidated the sale had you made your claim shortly afterwards, but you've had 18 months' use of it so you're no longer in the "recently bought" scenario.  To bring a claim at this stage, you would need to produce evidence that you were deliberately misled and that you are financially worse off as a result.  That would be virtually impossible to prove.

• Barry

Difficult one. But as your country uses the metric system I think you have cause for complaint. I would ask the dealer to fit a KM odometer. If he declines you then have to calculate whether or not you should take him to the small claims court. If you do this take a written estimate from a shop to supply and fit the correct instrument.