How do ductless HVAC systems work?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You don't have ducts in the room. You have 2 insulated refrigeration lines.  And may be an outside air supply/exhaust tube.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You don't have ducts in the room. You have 2 insulated refrigeration lines.  And may be an outside air supply/exhaust tube.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

The air handller (evaporator) is in the room being cooled (or heated) and it is connected to the outside unit (compressor)  by refrigerant lines.

• T C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The mini split are an economical way to maintain cooling /heating in a specific environment. The condenser unit which houses the compressor is outside and the evaporator is inside, typically mounted on the wall, but there is the floor, ceiling, recessed and duct options…..

I won’t go into to much detail, but I will try to give you an overall view.

With the popularity of the mini split systems and the perfecting of the inverter compressor more companies are has jumping into the game so there is probably some things I will miss, but overall you can get an idea, depending on what your needs are …if you are looking to install a single cassette (indoor evaporator unit) or multiple. ….There is two ways you can go…. branch box or multi-port.

MULTI PORT - Depending on your needs…. if you are installing 1-3 units maybe consider a multi-port….which has ports on the condenser outside and is less costly. Some of the multi-port can handle up to five units……. but the length of run for pipe, btu drop, and unappealing esthetics with a number of pipe sets running to the condenser would be the Cons.

BRANCH BOX –Apparently now you can operate up to (and maybe more) 9 separate units from one condenser. Branch box is kind of what it sounds like. It is a centrally located box where the tubing sets (high and low) go to the box and only one larger set goes out to the condenser. It also operates as a brain, where the call for heat in one area and cooling in other areas is achieved through the branch box.

The Branch Box will be located in an area that is accessible to all the piping…. However according to Mfg. recommendations, extreme heat and cold are not the ideal places for the branch box …Although I can tell you, several that were mounted in Terlingua, TX, with the box in the attic…. have worked just fine….and trust, me it was hot! They can also be mounted in a ceiling, basement or outside in a moisture proof box.

The systems themselves are great, economical, and fulfill a needed purpose….But they do require attention. The filters need to be cleaned monthly and I would suggest the evap coils quarterly (with a coil cleaner and spray bottle) I have seen more than once, where either the evaporator pump has failed or the line has gotten plugged. Not a critical situation ….but maintaining the coils and filter will help prevent that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Most have pipework that connects an inside unit and an outside unit - they are normally described as 'comfort cooling ' since they do not introduce fresh tempered air into the space, with heating in the same way, so you still need some form of ventilation.

• 1 month ago

Such systems have a heat exchanger in each room so heated/cooled air doesn't have to be moved to each room.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.