Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Does this sound like an interesting light novel idea?

I've been working on a light novel for quite some time now and have only had close friends read through it. They all give the same feedback on how it would be great, but I don't know if they truly feel as such, or if it's them trying to be nice. the synopsis would be something like this: 

In the town of Gestodia, a tale of a mystical library that is housed in one of the most popular dungeons has been gaining more and more legitimacy with every passing day. It is said that it records every event in history and grants overwhelming knowledge to those who find it. It attracts the attention of a wide array of people, humans and non-humans alike. One such non-human would be Aston, a wraith that is stuck in a suit of armor, wishing to know both his past and purpose which lay documented somewhere in this supposed vast library. Aston, along with his partner Chelsia, seeks to reveal the secrets that lay printed in the trillions of books it possesses. Though it seems easy enough to go about searching, they will have to cross many dangerous paths, go through multiple layers of the dungeon, and have the helping hand of allies to assist in their quest.

I plan on self-publishing whenever I complete the work, but I'm interested in what others think of the idea besides my friends. This is probably not the best place to ask this question, I know, but I'm curious. I'm currently two and a half chapters deep of the first volume.  

I've been chipping away at a light novel for a long while now and have just had dear companions read through it.

• Andrew

No, it doesn't.                    

I actually don't mind this, but is this like a blurb or something?

If it would be probably make it more snappy and interesting. Like, describe the main character a little more.

But Gestodia is a pretty good name lol.

Also, what do you mean by non-humans, (vampires, werewolves, fairies)? like that or are they like one specific culture sort of thing, if so, you should name them like in Harry Potter, humans are called Muggles. You know what I mean?

I really hope this helped and good luck!

In 1923 priests tried to change the calendar; Holy Fire didn't come down; Turkish guards killed these priests; RuskiOrthodox replaced them.

Holy Fire ended with Patriarch Irenaios. Now it's faked by heretics. Irenaios is the last Orthodox Patriarch. Irenaios blessed Catacomb movement.

What you need is antimins (remains of saints sewed into a towel, one cup, one spoon, wax candles, nonkosher non-yeast nonbarcoded nonqrcoded bread/wine, etc.)

Electricity is from Satan; yeast is grown on pig bacteria, etc.

Barcode = Druid black magic curse; QRcode = ancient Mayan curse...

Kosher (K) or Union of Orthodox Synagogues (U) = sprinkled with blood like Mosis did. Underneath the entrance of synagogue lies New Testament...

Orthodoxy = the only true faith; Roman Catholics tried one cup - one spoon ritual and got sick with Bubonic plague; if heresy enters Orthodox monastery then monks/nuns will get sick with flu/tuberculosis (for instance); Orthodox churches who closed for COVID or had disposable cups/spoons or dipped spoon into alcohol are no longer brides of Christ (now they serve Satan and honor Satan's new COVID religion).

Don’t go into UFO to be “healed” by evil demons; demons never do good.

SSN is written as a barcode/QRcode; then it's put into a chip; chip is put into vaccine; chipped people are influenced (by super computers) to receive grey plastic card World Passport with no name on it (but when they stretch their hands to get it, gov't clerk presses secret button to administer the unforgivable green 666 tattoo by isotope rays). If you reject mark of the beast then your direct ancestors go to heaven (according to saint Vyacheslav Krasheninnikov from Ural).

Birds participate in time creation. It's a sin to kill birds. Dinosaurs live under our level; they will get out through sinkholes and lakes; to kill them, go for their nerves. Save the birds; but kill the dinosaurs. First dinosaur will come out of Volga River in Russia. Scientists don't see dinosaurs under our level because of radiation. Sinkholes happen because people dig for resources underground and because earth is heating up.

Source(s): mRNA vaccine by Moderna contains *Luciferin* dissolved with *66.6* ml of distilled *phosphate* buffer solution... ...mark of the beast...that's what it is... all vaccines are chipped; all vaccines have cells of aborted fetuses in them
  • Zac Z

A couple of thoughts.

I don't know what books about hidden libraries Amber has read but the premise of your story isn't something I've seen before. I'd say it's fresh and new. The only thing that I can think of with a similar premise is the idea of these supposed palm leaf libraries in India that are said to have recorded the fates of every living person.

Let's talk about the trillions of books. One trillion, 10¹², is a huge number. If you could read one book per second, it would take you over 31,000 years to read them all (without sleeping). Obviously, one second won't be enough time to read a book, it might not even be enough time to identify it. Actually, having a library with so many books would be the perfect way to HIDE information! Because how on earth would you even find it!

Let's be a little bit more realistic and say it'd take you an average of 1 minute to analyse one book in order to make sure that the information definitely isn't in there, you'd be busy for close to 2 million years (again, without sleeping, not that this makes much of a difference, I guess). And since you talk of trillionS (plural) it'd be a multiple of that time.

You'd also need an enormous space to house these books. Even if they were all small, the size of the mass market paperback of the first Harry Potter novel (4.25 x 1 x 6.75 inches according to Amazon), one trillion of these books would fill a cube of nearly half a mile length. 180 times the volume of the Great Pyramid of Giza. We are talking about a massive cube without any spaces. A real library is largely "filled" with air so you'd have to multiply this with a factor of, I don't know, maybe 10 or 20, at least? And then, apply another factor of however much since this isn't one trillion books but trillionS of books.

Anyway, you get the picture. Such a huge place wouldn't be easily hidden. At all.

I think the obvious solution to this is to make this library a magical one. That could also solve the problem how to find the information one would seek.

The very line gets me to one of the main weaknesses of your premise: Why would "a wide array of people" be so interested in this place? I am not aware that any wars have been fought over a library.

Now, as a passionate reader I would happily want to believe that this was the case - we all love books, don't we? But let's be honest, that's not the case.

You would have to make this point much more convincing.

I'd say you can safely reduce the number of books by a factor of 10 to 100 million and have it be tens or hundreds of thousands of books. Is still an awful lot but makes the entire premise a lot more credible.

More importantly, make the contents of these books more desirable.

Again, avid readers will see the appeal of a huge library but why would such "a wide array of people" as you say be interested in the history of their world. What's the value for any particular person to potentially know every event in history. Sure, that may sound cool but would anybody go to any lengths to find this place just to read up on past events?

I get the impression that your story is more of a the-journey-is-the-reward type of story anyway, that the library isn't that important for the story but rather what the characters go through in order to get there.

If that's the case and the every-event-in-history aspect is not a crucial part of your story I'd rethink the premise.

You mention "the first volume" in your last line. I don't know the scope of the story you've outlined but I'd suggest that as a first-time writer you start with a stand-alone story rather than a series.

Good luck!  :-)

PS: What you offered isn't a synopsis. A synopsis would omit unnecessary details and teasing phrases and instead cover the entire story including the end. Not a criticism as such, more an FYI.

PPS: Kudos for being cautious with the positive feedback of your friends. Many people are all too happy to delude themselves and believe feedback of friends and family. You should only give thought to feedback from friends who a) would be interested in books and ideally the kind of story you are writing and b) are willing to be brutally honest with you if you ask them to be. You don't need flattering feedback; you'll want an honest feedback. Obviously, you should also be able to take honest feedback, even if it's disastrous, without getting angry or offended.

Make sure that you can cope with all kinds of feedback and if you are also able to convincingly relay this to a friend willing to be honest, their feedback could be valuable.

In such a case, I'd suggest to only listen to your friend, take notes if necessary but not comment on it and even less defend yourself/your story.

Then think about it and decide which part of the feedback is helpful.

This kind of attitude will also help your friend to be honest.

• ?

It's only an idea. An idea is worth nothing until it's turned into a story. A seemingly bad idea can turn into a bestseller in the hands of a good writer with the enthusiasm and skills to do it; an apparently brilliant idea will flounder and drown in the hands of a poor writer.

We don't know which you are. All we can reasonably say is, if this is the story you want to tell, you should go on and tell it, as well and interestingly as you possibly can. The only test in the end is how keen your readers will be to keep turning the pages!

• Marli

A good thing that Aston is a wraith. (Do you mean a ghost or a spirit?) No human could read trillions of books in a lifetime, never mind study and make notes.

Why is Aston inside a suit of armour? Does he have to wear it while he searches and reads?

Since you say the library is housed in a "popular" dungeon, is the library open to scholars? If it is, Aston and Chelsia share the library with other users.  Are A. and C. the resident spirits?  

A library needs a librarian and the librarian of such a large one needs support staff.  New books have to be cataloged and classified. Books have to be shelved in an order that makes them available for immediate retrieval. They have to be shifted to accommodate the new books. To carry every book, the library has to have infinite space, which means an ongoing construction program. The information could be converted into digital formats that would take up less space. Or books will need to be discarded. Books (and computers) have to be cared for (and Elaine is right. Dampness destroys books and electronics, and will cause electrical problems. They should be out of the dungeon.) 

The story has some promise, IMO. (I am a library lover. Those who are not might not be interested.)  A wraith or spirit who I presume has lost his memory wants to know why and how he had lived and died. Someone, something or some circumstances (like the size of the library collection, the deterioration of the books in a dungeon, or the incomprehensible cataloguing and classifcation systems that even the library staff can't entirely understand.) hinders him from achieving his goal.  What would the achievement give Aston? What makes it worthwhile? What will he do with the knowledge he gained? 

I wish you success.

I lost interest after the first paragraph. 

I'm sorry to say it's boring. 

Why is a library in a dungeon? Mildew and mold would destroy the books. 

• ?

It needs work on the details.  How, for example, does a "popular dungeon" come to be?  Where do you start finding secrets in "trillions of books"?  Where did the books come from?  That said, if you want to write stop talking about it and write.  You'll never know if your story is any good until it's down on paper.  Good luck.