Possession of cocaine charge?

I was arrested for possession of cocaine. The drug was on a sidewalk that I happen to be walking by. Cops pinned it on me. And I got charged.

Can I beat this charge? I have no priors,

I didn't have any drugs on me.

Favorite Answer

Charge? What charge? If they cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you had it in your "possession" or control and knew what it was, then they lose. Have your lawyer immediately file a civil rights lawsuit against the officers and their department for even attempting such a stunt.

They can arrest you on "probable cause" but the DA won't charge without proof.

Of course, your lawyer will want to know other "facts" about how you happened to be there when this all went down, what you were doing before that, etc., since the lawyer cannot lie in court filings without risking his or her license.

Take and pay for your own hair follicle test. 

When it returns drug free, that evidence backs your claim that you don't do drugs. I am guessing that the baggie contained the amount of cocaine that would be considered personal use, not a quantity typically sold by a dealer, which is in your favor as a non-user.

Get letters of reference from people who know you...friends, coworkers, your boss...to present to the court. 

If it helps, bring in 3 months of bank statements and pay stubs to show stable income and spending habits. Especially if a large sum of coke was in that baggie. Your income records (deposits) will reveal if you have undocumented income that could be associated with drug dealing. If none of that is happening, it will not be detected in your bank statements.

Fight back when not guilty!

Using the "it isn't mine" excuse, I see.  Can you beat this charge?  It's doubtful.

The BODYCAM clearly shows you tossing the drugs on the sidewalk. You KNOW you are guilty.

I didn't. Have any drugs on me, I didn't pick anything up. The cops found it on the sidewalk 20 feet from me

• Did you touch it?

Did you tell the cops anything other than your name and "I want to see an attorney" before speaking with your attorney?

Even if they have you dead to rights on something, always say "I want to see my attorney" and then clam up.  Your time to talk will come in court.  Nothing you say to them can help you.  They don't want to punish criminals, stop crime, or even slow down crime.  They want to arrest people and put them into the system.  They don't give a damn about whether or not you're actually guilty of the crime they're charging you with.  All they care about is making arrests and getting convictions.

Kind of... it was probably planted by police. You can try to fight for a lesser charge than what they might be trying to give you, but I don't think you'll get off scott free. You shouldn't have picked it up. You can't really get out of it when you literally knowingly had it on your person.

How much did you h[ve on you?