Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 2 months ago

How to get insurance to get license with no license?

Does anyone know how to get insurance without a license? Before COVID, I got things together to get a license then car. After all the DMVs shut down I was out of luck for the license so I ended up getting the car first, finally i got on schedule for an appointment license again but I can’t get it without an insurance in NC. I only had one person to be on their policy until after I got the license and could get my own policy. However I no longer have that option. I also do not have anyone else in remotely close to to go under their insurance. Is there any possible way I could get an auto insurance policy to get my license? 

impossible. You can buy it, but you would not be covered.

I never had an issue with that.  DMV stopped handing out plates long ago.  It went to private insurance companies.  You bought the insurance and got the plate there and then.  The only plates DMV had were for specialty loads for commercial trucks and homemade trailers (after you pass a road worthy inspection) -those were often got at the local weigh scales. Other than that, DMV does not want to be involved in handling License plates.

Ask at your insurance agency. They may be doing that because it makes the most sense.  It has been that way for me since the "70's" so NC should be caught up by now.

You apply for an insurance policy and (if required) make a down payment.  When they confirm that your insurance coverage is bound, they give you a liability certificate to carry in the vehicle.

Contact an insurance provider directly, don't do it online.  Insurance companies (all of them) don't want to issue a policy to an owner who only has a learner's permit, in fact they don't want first-year drivers as customers, so they're not going to make it easy for you.  But if you call them directly and speak to a human being, they'll do it.

• May

For the thirty fiftieth time....  You do NOT need a drivers license to insure a car.  All you need to insure a car is to have an "Insurable interest" in that car.  You don't need a drivers license to buy a car, to insure a car to buy a loaf of bread, a pack of gum or  a big Mac.  You only need a drivers license to  >DRIVE<  a vehicle.

Where do people get these weird ideas?

No car insurance is valid if you don’t have a legal entitlement to drive. 

So you may be able to buy insurance, but the moment anyone checks whether you have a license the deal is nullified and you can face prosecution 

for driving without a license and driving uninsured.

If you think that you can only obtain a license if you can prove that you’re already insured to drive (even if only as a named driver on someone else’s policy) then you have misunderstood the rules.

• Ron

You find an insurance company, you apply for insurance, you pay for insurance, you get insurance. In NC you don't get to be under anyone's insurance. You must have personal liability to get an unrestricted license.

You are asking two different things:

You can't get insurance in your name until you have a license = this didn't change with covid.  This is the way it work. 

When you have a permit, you are covered under the license of the person whose in the car with you.

If you don't have a permit, you can't drive on a public street because you are uninsured.

You can get insurance on your car at any time.  The insurance WILL NOT cover you in the event you are in illegally driving without a license.