Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 2 months ago

Do believe the polls that 20 percent of people are now claiming to have someone who has had Covid19 in their family?

why or not? does anyone know of anyone personally?

Favorite Answer

At the moment in the US, more than 20 million people have tested positive. 

The population of the US is about 320 million, so 20 percent of that population is about 64 million people.

If each of the 20 million people who tested positive was known by 3 or 4 other people, then 20% of the population would know someone with Covid.

This back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests ... yes ... it could easily be the case that 20% of the population know someone in their family who was infected.

If you use Facebook, put up a post asking if anyone you know has had it, or if they know someone who has.  I did it two months ago.  Of the 90 responses, 74 know someone who had it, or they had it themselves.  Only 16 didn't. 

The guy who sits closest to me at work and his wife had it, and I've got many friends who have.  No one in my household has, but we are also very careful.  

2 of my colleagues have had Covid, they are both female and one in her mid 40's and the other in her mid 50's.  It's taken several months for them to recover, neither needed Hospital treatment.  An elderly neighbour also had Covid, back in April, he's 97, he ended up needing oxygen, but not on a ventilator.  When he came out of Hospital he was suffering with Dementia.

My brother who's a bus driver just texted me yesterday to say he thinks he might have it, so he's going for a test. I know these tests are very inaccurate, but I'm concerned because he's very overweight. I'm very much a sceptic when it comes to what the government are trying to do with scaring people.

It's become more like 45%. I had 2 close friends that died from covid, just in my circle of friends (25-45 y/o people). I'm have many friends around the country that tell me they lost relatives. I just found out that my personal accountant was terribly sick from covid but she's survived for now. 

We lost one and another is on life support. 

I know double figures who've had it at this stage and one who died after contracting it in hospital while going in for kidney treatment, it's rampant 

Yes - if anything it's being under-reported.