Apartment rental question?

So there was a leaky pipe and our apartment got mostly flooded. The maintenance crew came by and the plumbers fixed the problem. But the hole they had to dig up is now cemented and exposed.  They didn't even bother patching it up and replacing the flooring mat. When I called the office they didn't really answer my question about fixing it , as if the job is done. Am I able to break the lease or negotiate a lesser rental price? I mean this isn't what we signed up for.

8 Answers

  • 4 days ago

    Houston home buyers from https://bitly.com/3uvJPy6

  • 1 month ago

    Cannot break the lease yet, no.  The plumbers would not be expected to fix the flooring.  You need to document your requests to have it repaired.  Can you negotiate a lower rent?  Sure, you can try.

  • 1 month ago

    Just compalin loudly and often about the hole.  its not like they could rerent the place without repairing this, so they are going to have to fix it anyhow, may as well fix it now - but the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

    Could you ask for a rent rebate but good luck with that. Still, no harm in asking, but I'd suggest simple loud and frequent complaining.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    You don't think they deliberately flooded you, do you?  So, why would you have any expectation of a lease rent reduction?  A contract is a contract.  If a reasonable amount of time has gone by and they haven't come back to finish the job, CONTACT THEM.  Send them a photo of the unfinished work and ask them when they expect to finish the job.  You have a responsibility to be reasonable with them too.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    Send them a picture of it and put it in writing,  keeping a copy for yourself.  This is proof you were trying to get it fixed. 

  • 1 month ago

    No you cannot break the lease or get lower rent over that. That is basicaly cosmetic.  A cosmetic issue does not render the unit unlivable.  Your insurance will not pay alternate accomodation for that.

    If it is indeed cosmetic like is sounds like it is then they don't have to fix it at all in most states. Landlords are not required to fix ugly.  As long as the leak is repaired & there are no remaining health or safetey issues they are not breaking any laws in most states. 

  • 28AKO
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

    No. You need to put a maintenance request in to the leasing office in writing about that specific issue and asking it to be fixed. Make a copy of it before giving it to leasing office so you'll have a paper trail.

  • 1 month ago

    Leaks happen.  They may need to wait a while till the floor dries out.  But if this is a problem for you, use your renter's insurance to live elsewhere until this is sorted out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.