Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 month ago

Computer need more storage?

I'm completely clueless about all this but my C drive is full and apparently only has 111 GB. I got told to buy more storage. How do I do that?

Is there a particular make I need to get for my computer?

Can I buy it online or is it something physical I have to buy?

How much storage would be plenty and cheap enough to get?

If physical how would I put it into my computer?

Are the more expensive ones better/worth getting than cheaper ones?

I have windows 10 PC. I feel like an idiot asking this, I'm sorry to all those people reading and facepalming. Help would be appreciated though! Thanks.

For more storage Buy an external Hard drive.

Buy an external Hard drive and download all the stuff you don't need

I have a 500 g Laptop Hard drive for Backing up my windows 10

What you did is buy a computer with a 128 gb solid state drive. These are ok for people who don't do anything but browse the internet.. and maybe some word/excel work. if you want to do more, the 128 gb drives are pretty much useless. You can have someone upgrade the drive to something bigger. a 256 gb ssd is 40 bucks and you can go up from there. Sometimes manufacturers put in a second hard drive as your data drive so I would see if you have another drive as well. Take it to a pro or find someone who knows computers to help you choose what you need to do.

Source(s): ME: 20 years in IT

As you're "completely clueless", it's pointless telling you how to do it. Talk to a computer pro about installing a bigger hard drive, and get him or her to transfer the contents of the drive while they're at it.

Or for an instant expansion get an external hard drive that plugs-in by usb, then shuffle your files such as documents music, videos to it, freeing up space on the C drive.  It'll be slower to read but it will work.

at your level of knowledge and experience, the best way is to hire the local computer shop to do this for you.  no muss, no fuss, no learning required -- just add money

• garry

yes and , have you thought of plugging a new 1 terabyte hard drive ..get an external drive , it works of you usb plug .

Look on eBay get yourself a three and a half inch hard drive if it's a desktop computer. And by yourself a SATA wire about a foot long. When you look inside your computer you'll see your first hard drive. You will see the wire connectors for a second hard drive right next to it.

Follow the SATA wire to the motherboard. Plug the power cables in they look just like the wires on the other hard drive. Plug the SATA wire into the motherboard now plug it into the other hard drive. Mount your other hard drive in the slot.

Of course you want to make sure your computer is unplugged when you do this when you restart you can format the hard drive. 

Then you will have storage get yourself a one terabyte hard drive. This method will cost you about $50 you can also go to Walmart and get yourself a USB hard drive and plug it into any of the USB ports then you'll have lots of storage

111 GB is way too small for anything these days. First of all check if you have a D partition as well. You may well have. If so use that. If not, buy a whole new PC. as yours must be decades out of date. Really.

• Bill-M

You purchased an External Hard Drive.  It plugs into one of the USB ports.

• David

You haven't given us much to go on as regarding the specs of your computer and as The subject of upgrading storage is really too vast to explain from basics, it is something you can look up yourself or get a tech savvy friend to help.

The simplest thing is if you don't want to start learning about computers is to take the computer to a local repair centre and ask them to upgrade your storage (for a fee).