Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

Am I bored of my engagement/wedding ring, or do I just plain not like diamonds?

Backstory: We were originally supposed to take a tour throughout Europe for our anniversary, but due to COVID- that clearly won't work for a long time coming.

Instead, my husband surprised me with the option to pick out a new wedding set; 100% entirely of my choosing.

I've struggled with this more than I thought I would. I find that many of the settings, no matter the size, sparkle, or designs of the rings, just plain don't excite me.

Should I look into other gemstone options instead? Would I maybe enjoy an antique ring more than the modern rings?

My original engagement ring is a simple diamond solitaire with a plain band and a diamond eternity wedding band. Don't get me wrong, it is beautiful - but I feel this design is completely overused and everywhere you look. I want something more that represents the special relationship I have with my husband.

I know that diamonds are very practical and rated a 10 on the hardness scale, but husband told me that if I go the gemstone route, I can choose a brand new "engagement ring" and wedding band! 

So now I'm really starting to think gemstone and antique rings. Maybe the engagement ring can be antique and the wedding band can be brand new and completely ours? I like just about every option there is for that.

However, I guess I'm confused because deep down I know diamonds is the more practical way to go, but I'm just not sure I like them as much as I thought I did. Which is strange because as a little girl, the set I have now would have been my absolute dream set. Now that it's on my finger, I'm slightly disappointed because nearly everyone has it. It's the most popularized set online, on television, etc. I just don't know how to really feel about it anymore.

• Foofa

Or perhaps you could feel really good about yourself by donating whatever you'd have spent on jewelry to one of the many organizations trying to help the nearly 1/3 of the country that's been plunged into desperation by this pandemic. Just a thought. 

Classic rings are easily recognized! No explanation needed and they speak for themselves. 

If you want one of a kind, look into custom work.

Custom jewelry draws attention also but you would just need to add that it is your engagement/wedding ring when telling the story since it may not look like anything else. 

If you want some other gemstone, go for it. But don't rush yourself. Since you're so undecided right now, maybe this isn't the time to buy anything. So, slow down, and don't stress yourself out trying to choose the right ring.

Also keep in mind that you don't have to get a new ring at all.. If, in your heart, you'd rather save that money for the European trip that you were dreaming of, it's okay to wait till you can travel again.

Bored OF?  Do you mean bored WITH?  I'm not a ring person, so instead of a diamond ring my husband bought me a car.  A Toyota, in fact.  (As it happened, I hated the car and ended up trading it.)  Why do you think diamonds IS the more practical way to go?  They lose value faster than any other stone.

• i + i

Instead of getting a new set, have the 

existing set reworked -- that way you 

get to keep the diamonds you seem so 

fond of, AND a unique setting instead 

of something "completely overused 

and everywhere you look". 

• Kate

Diamonds are beautiful and they are expensive. If you're not really impressed with them, why waste the money? I was never enthusiastic about diamonds. My husband gave me his grandmother's sapphire ring as an engagement ring. When we married he gave me a platinum band to match. I love it.

Get what you know you want. You'll be looking at it for the (hopefully) rest of your life, you should love it.

• ?

Get whatever your little heart desires, hon. It doesn't have to be a diamond.  

why would u be bored of a beautiful ring?