I recently sold a car without having myself titled it?

I recently sold my car, which I had only had for about 4 months, which was, and still is, on a salvage title. I did most of the work require for the rebuild, but since I did not complete the work and did not get the salvage inspection required for rebuild status, I neve even bothered to get the title transferred into my name. Yesterday, the man who purchased the car told me that there was something that I hadn't done that prevented them from titling the car in their name. I've done a lot of searching, and I can't see anywhere that it says that I have to have completed the titling process in order for them to title as well. They have not completed the rebuild process, nor have they gotten the salvage inspection done, so I suggested that may be it. He didnt explain very well what was said, only that he was turned away from the DMV. I may have messed up, but I'm not sure and can't find any other answers. For clarification, this is any the state of Missouri. Anyone know if or what I need to do? I'm not trying to screw these people over, so whatever I need to do for them to be able to title and license their car I will do. Thanks in advance!

So lets see.  You not only possess stolen property, but sell stolen property?

Your DMV has a process for that. You did not complete that process. Once that is completed, the Title will be issued. Not before. So far, you've wasted your money.

• May

We here don't know for sure why he was "turned away" from the DMV.  It could have something to do with the salvage part but it is probably due more to the fact that you didn't have a title for the car in your name.  You cannot LEGALLY sell a car that is NOT titled in your name.  What you did was illegal.  It is called among other things "Jumping the title".  People "jump" titles to avoid paying sales tax and DMV fees.

You had better call the buyer back and allow him to explain exactly WHY he was denied a title so that you understand what you have to do before you find yourself in a jail cell.

You, quite simply, have broken the law.  Lawbreakers surely do not investigate things to make sure. 

You can't lawfully sell a car that does not have your name on the title. 

Go to your DMV if you want to find the law.  They won't have any trouble providing it for you. 

Now you've left the "buyer" in a strange position.

It's not a question of may have, you messed up.  You can't sell a vehicle you don't own, and you don't legally own it unless the title is in your name.  That's what the law says in Missouri, just like everywhere else.

It's perfectly legal to buy / sell a vehicle branded as salvage, as long as the salvage branding is disclosed to the buyer.  But the vehicle has to be titled in the seller's name.

• ?

You are doing two things wrong. First off you are trying to jump title. You cannot sell any car without it being titled in your name. Secondly you must complete all the paperwork necessary for a rebuilt car. It will then need to be inspected. My advice is to give the buyer his or her money back and then do what you need to do to legally sell the car. Otherwise you could be looking at a lawsuit. 

You illegally sold the car. You have to put it in your name before you can sell it. And, if you did not tell the guy about the salvage title that is another problem.

You need to give his money back or you will be sued and lose.

He probably thought he could register it and buy a tag but he can't with a salvage title. 

I was a dealer for a dozen years. Once I bought a car from an auction I bought hundreds of cars from. When the title came, I did not even look at it until I got home.  I saw it was salvage and I took it and the car back for my money back.

Despite being a dealer with many years of experience, an ACTUAL salvage title is not something I knew how to deal with. Auctions regularly disclose salvage and its widely meant to be prior salvage.  Prior salvage means you can buy a tag for the car. Salvage means you can't without having it inspected, paying an EXTRA fee and then you can get a title and buy a tag. 

Salvage dealers do that. Not regular dealers. You are neither.

YES, YOU MESSED UP. The laws of every state say that only a licensed dealer can reassign the title of vehicle without putting it in their name first. It's illegal to do what you did and you can be sued by the buyer. The best thing to do is have them return the car and give them their money back until you get it titled in your name

.

The Missouri law begins like this:."By the express provisions of section 301.210, RSMo 1959, no title passes tothe purchaser of a used automobile in Missouri  unless the seller's certificate oftitle, properly endorsed and acknowledged before a notary public, is transferredto the purchaser at the time of delivery of the vehicle. The statute further declaresthe sale of a used motor vehicle without assignment of the certificate to beUndawful, fraudulent and void".

.

So before you can straighten this out, you need to title it in your name, and in Missouri that's going to cost you a pretty stiff late fee. The DOR website says this."You have 30 days from the date of purchase to title and pay sales tax on your newly purchased vehicle. If you do not title the vehicle within 30 days, there is a title penalty of $25 on the 31st day after purchase. The penalty increases another $25 for every 30 days you are late with a maximum penalty of $200."

.

So, right off the bat you're out $100 plus the $8.50 title fee and the $6.00 processing fee. See: https://dor.mo.gov/motorv/titling.php.

.

EPIC FAIL. ignorance is not your friend. 

Most states don't allow YOU to transfer a car that has a title in someone else's name, in other words "title flipping". This bypasses you paying your fair share of sales taxes.