Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesToyota · 1 month ago

Do Tacoma’s really last long ?

I have my eye on 2009 Tacoma I saw in a dealer close to my house, it has just a little under 110K miles. It’s a 4x4. Ive always heard Tacos can go up to 400K miles. Is this true? 

Favorite Answer

This is true, though I've seen more than a handful exceeding 500k miles on original engines and transmissions. The highest I've seen so far is a 2004 V6 PreRunner with 781k miles! I saw that just four months ago. Keep them well maintained and they can and oftentimes willeven exceed that.

• arther

if they are made in Thialand don't give them the same respect as Toyota's made in japan. After driving  90 series for years I recently brought a  09 Hilux its a piece ofshit compared to the 90 series. The hilux myth busters dropped off the building was made in japan different factory to the new hilux's I liked the old models had one of them when i was a young bloke.

• F

The Tacoma is essentially a more luxurious version of the Hi Lux . Just watch Top Gear try to destroy one.. They couldn’t. 

Yes they do but my uncle had one that lasted 280k miles before the frame rotted out. Although the engine and transmission was still good. 

Generally, yes, but it depends entirely on how hard it has been driven and whether any maintenance was done.  Unless you personally know the previous owner, you'll have to rely on whatever records come with the truck and whatever records Toyota might have. If it has ever been serviced by a Toyota dealer, any Toyo dealer in the country can look it up. 

.

So, I've owned my 3.0 liter Tacoma for 21 years, and it was 5 years old with 58,000 miles when I bought it.   It has 268,000 on it now and is still going strong. There was a recall at one point shortly after I got it, so I got a free timing belt replacement out of that, but it never broke or anything and may have never developed a problem even if the recall work wasn't done. 

.

Other than routine maintenance (fluid changes, brakes, belts, hoses, etc) in all that time I've only had to replace the alternator [at 140,000 miles] and the water pump [at 228,000 miles]. When I did the water pump I also replaced the timing belt because both jobs go together. I now have a small rear axle shaft leak, but that's not an expensive job. 

So all in all, doing the work myself, I've spent less than $600 in unplanned repairs in 21 years. Thats hard to beat. I can't guarantee you'll have the same result, but if you don't abuse it you should easily get another 150,000+ out of it. 

They generally go a long ways.  This particular one most likely will, but there is always a chance that it has been totally abused for the first 110,000 miles and is just on the verge of falling to pieces.  

But I bet you can have it checked out. 

• CB

The go a long time but only if maintained properly - does the truck come with proof of scheduled maintenance (log book, dealer reports or receipts). If not you have 110k miles of unknown.

• Scott

Meticulously maintained, it's possible to get 400k out of any vehicle.

It is very true. If taken care of they can easily go over 300,000 miles with no major repairs. 

Over 300k miles is normal.  Check for corroded leaf springs before buying.