Britt_N_Raine asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

Buying a betta online?

The bettas at the Petco and PetSmart stores I've been to seem to have all sorts of problems and I'm not 100% I'd be purchasing a healthy fish. I looked around online and I found out you can actually purchase a betta and have it shipped to you! I initially laughed at this - and then worried because, I mean, with the horrors of shipping these days thanks to the pandemic, I'd worry about the poor thing showing up dead and then I'd also be out $30+ - but it's recommended that I find reputable betta breeders. I've found a few but don't really know how "reputable" they are, seeing as I'm a stickler for reviews.

Have you ever purchased a betta online? If so, what was your experience and who would you recommend?

Thank you!

I wouldn't buy anything live right now. Mail keeps getting delayed these days. See if there is a fish store near you. Thats going to be the best option.

• Raven

I have bought bettas online twice. This was before the pandemic, when you could be confident that expensive overnight mail really would happen on time. This was also in the spring when it wouldn't be too hot or too cold. One betta looked exactly as it did in the photo and lived for a few years. The other looked different, the right colors but wimpy and thin and not healthy. That one died in 5 months.

• PR

I would suggest finding a local aquarium/fish store, where you can actually SEE the fish, and then bring it safely home. There are stores like this all over, and you just need to look up: aquarium store. Besides safety issues with shipping the fish, I would be suspicious that you would end up getting the actual fish you expected, and especially since Betta color shows differently in different lighting situations. All they need to say to you is: "The lighting was different when/where we took the picture. That is the same fish."