Is the original "fat" ps3 compatible with playing the onimusha games?

I want to surprise my younger brother with his own ps3 and the onimusha games but I'm not sure if they are compatible with each other because people say that only some ps2 games are compatible on the fat ps3 even though it has the ps2 in it. If not I can always buy a used ps2 for cheap and then buy him the series but if I can I want to get him a ps3 so it can be modded in the future

Favorite Answer

If the device has 4 USB ports in the front then it has the full PS2 hardware built-in and will play any PS2 game.

If the device has 2 USB ports in the front then it won't be able to play PS2 games.

Only the very earliest PS3 consoles contained an fully functional PS2 internally.

Sony deleted that feature to save money and to drive sales of PS3 games as soon as the PS3 had a decent catalogue of native games. At launch there were so few native games that Sony had to include PS2 hardware.

Those early fat consoles had very small capacity hard drives and most are now in landfill or have been sent for landfill. 

Just buy a very cheap working PS2. If he wants a PS3 then later buy a good used and also very cheap PS3.