Trying to date a Kodak photograph ?

Can anyone help me with this? Trying to figure out what these numbers mean in regards to dates. 

FEB90 I take it means when it was printed? 

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 days ago

St Petersburg photo studio from https://statespb.ru/

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, that is most likely the date when it was printed. Most of the time though, the actual date when the photo was taken would just be somewhere near before that. Prior to digital, most people would rush to have their photos developed and printed and no, it wasn't to show them off but instead, to keep them in a photo album locked tight in a cabinet somewhere secret.

• Sumi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I see your confusion.  The date stamp is the date that the negative was printed but not the date the image was actually taken. It was obviously printed in the month of February.  The following digits: 90024735 is a bit tricky.  '90' could be the year, followed by '04'.  This could be Feb 4, 1990.  Or, it could be Feb 9th, 2000.

If the image was printed in the United States, then it's likely to be Feb 9th, 2000 since we write the date as mm/dd/yy.

The following letters: NNNNA are irrelevant.

• Newton
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, when the picture is printed on paper, the machine puts a date on the back of the photo paper. Some old cameras have data backs, and the photographer can choose to print the date on the film itself when the picture was taken. Nowadays, the date is stored digitally and it can be printed on the photo itself if desired. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Yes, it's the printing date - the only date that can be put with accuracy by a machine. So the photo will have its 31st anniversary next month, congrats"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.