? asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Does rice go bad and how can you tell?

So more of a specific situation; I recieved a sock full of rice from family member when I was recovering years ago, to use as a heating pad. It was great and used for years until it disappeared, and I just found it again. 

I threw out the rice in the sock bc I assume after so long that it might be "bad".. Thing is, I cannot smell... So would rice turn bad or smell bad after a while..? Or can I keep using the same rice in a sock as a heating pad, long as Im not eating it....? 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Dry uncooked rice will last for years without any measuable deterioration.

• 1 month ago

The oil in rice can go rancid.  Brown rice has more oil.  So goes bad faster. There is a taste difference between new rice & old rice. Why every one rush's to buy new rice at harvest. Prolonged storage of over 7 years can cause rice to start to break apart. But as long as kept stored dry can last 50 years or more.  Taste will tell you. Open the container & smell. Does it smell good?  Does it look good? Boil some up. You can tell by taste if the oil in it has gone bad. Not that it can not still be ate. Brackish water rice is bad. Why we buy ours from a spring fed valley above us in the Mountains for best rice. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I guess it depends on if it gets moisture into it .If it does it could get moldy or rot.

• 1 month ago

dried food products rarely "spoil" in the traditional sense unless they get wet and mold. Usually, older dried products like beans or rice will eventually not cook to tender any more or small old and stale, which would translate into stale flavor too. the rice in your sock used as a heating pad will never spoil so you cannot use it for a heating pad..it will, however, probably take forever to cook because all the heating has REALLY dried it out so I would never use that for food.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ivan
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Dry uncooked rice will last for years without any measuable deterioration. If it gets wet, though, that could cause mold. Cooked spoiled rice can make you very sick. Lysteria is one of the diseases it can give you.

• 1 month ago

it depends if it gets moisture into it 

• 1 month ago

I think it's fine to use until it starts to break down.

• 1 month ago

As long as it was not "buggy" it would have been fine to heat and use as a heating pad again.  It is not as if you were going to eat the rice. 

Now you have a lone empty sock. 

• 1 month ago

If you are not eating it, you can keep it indefinitely. Keep in mind that it will start taking on odors as it cannot be washed and will probably get kind of funky after some time.

• 1 month ago

I guess it depends on if it gets moisture into it .If it does it could get moldy or rot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.