How do I cope with my pet being dead?

I just put down my 16 year old cat today. I'm 20, so we kinda grew up together. I've been able to find some comfort in talking to friends, but the one thing that still shatters my soul is the moment he died. I was holding his paw and we were staring into each others eyes.. the look he gave me will be something I'll never forget. It was the look of a loyal pet spending his last seconds alive staring at his life-long friend. He was there one minute, and then he wasnt. He just continued staring at me, but he wasn't there. When the veterinarian told he he had no heartbeat I just broke down crying, he was just a ragdoll at that point and I felt as though I had lost a brother. I relive that moment every time I close my eyes, and my heart breaks to pieces and I start crying. I feel like this experience gave me some serious mental trauma, i mean I feel like I just killed my best friend. What can I do to make myself feel less broken?

• PR
    Favorite Answer

Take heart in knowing you did the best thing for your friend, and he is in a better place. I always feel that a beloved pet will be there for me when I find my way across that "bridge". The love they brought is still in our hearts, so I feel they live on.

We put our 18 year old, Timmy, to sleep one year ago. He was a very unique cat who had a very specific personality. He was loved even by our neighbors, because he would sit by the sidewalk and wait for them to walk by and pet him.

The cat I had as a five-year-old still remains in my fond memories.

Take time to make a photo album. Write down memories of your cat. 

See if you can either volunteer at a shelter, or become a foster for an animal rescue league. Leagues often need "bottle-feeders" for abandoned litters, or fosters for any other needy cat or kitten - and this can be very rewarding. You can then consider first cat as the leader in helping these other kitties, and that is a good legacy for him to leave. You can find rescue leagues by inquiring with local pet supply stores, or going to the "Petfinder" site. Send emails stating you would like to help.

It takes time to get over losing something that was as close as this cat, and there for so long. Find a way to make a positive impact if at all possible, and in the least remember the good things about your cat. Make a mosaic garden stone for him.

Also, continue to communicate with your friends, and do things safely together. Community is a great help in times of need. You need in the least, the support of friends by simple chit-chatting. Since it is only one day, it is going to take time to readjust to kitty not being there. 

• Grow up. Death is part if life. Quit being such a *I say.

its very sad when pets die. Once they each a certain age you know they could die at any time

i would ask god to help you cope and it cant hurt to adopt another pet to get your mind off it

• James

Our cat died in my arms when my bro ran it over with our car so at least that didn't happen. Your cat was probably very old and it's time was near. it's not any better to have an animal suffer for a long time in bad condition and then just die alone sometime when you aren't with them comforting them. I think your cat had lived a full life and was ready to go out peacefully. A lot of old folks say they are tired and just ready by the time they are up there in age and I think your cat was just ready to go too

I'm sorry for ur loss of ur cat.

u should get grief counseling.