True or false: in Asian cultures grandparents tend to live with their families while Americans put them in nursing/retirement homes?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

While it may be more expected in some parts of Asia that adult children will take in aging parents, the US is mix of a lot of different customs, including Asian customs. Some 40% of us also claim Latin American heritage and in most of those cultures there's also some expectation that the aged will be cared for at home. Also, socioeconomic class plays into this as the more likely a family is to have the resources to care for a seriously ill person at home the more likely they are to be able to keep them out of an assisted living situation. Not everyone can afford to rent the hospital bed and oxygen tanks or to fund the necessary nurse visits to facilitate keeping an elderly person at home. If anything, most US seniors have "aging in place" as the goal and prefer to live on their own for as long as possible. They go into homes when they become too ill to live alone and too ill be cared for by adult children at home.

• 1 month ago

Yes and american BOOMERS kick their kids out with no college money to help them get ahead and manage jobs where they pay them peanuts.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

not always true 

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No.  What normally happens, is that when grand-dad dies, his wife jumps onto his funeral pyre.  (sometimes she is 'helped') This is called Suttee or Sati, and in the Fascist Republic of Hindustan it is becoming more and more common.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

after my dad passed away I moved my mom in with the rest of my family , she ended up being bed ridden diapers , and oxgen I would do it again in a heart beat !

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

That statement seems quite accurate from my own pov zxjqk

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

• Embery
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

It's not just grandparents, my wife is thai and her son lives with us, he's 26.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Generally true, but not always. 

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

True and same with European cultures. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

An Asian face friend said she lives with 12 family members. 

Not all Americans toss people into nursing homes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.