Saboo
Saboo asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Agree or disagree: The Confederate flag should be banned?

• Ron
    Favorite Answer

Banned, no. I am not in favour of banning things unless they are slanderous, spread false news, would identity a person's address or give away national security secrets. I don't LIKE the flag particularly and I can see as to how a lot of people would find it gross, a symbol of a blatantly racist time. But then, why cover up history? 

Those who erase history WANT to repeat the worst parts of history.

Americans who fly the Confederate flag and/or the Nazi flag are all traitors, every last one. No ifs, ands, or buts. The Confederate flag and the Nazi flag are the flags of the two greatest enemies America has ever had in its entire history, the flags of the two greatest existential threats America has ever faced, and the flags under which marched the armies that spilled more American blood than any others. If you fly a Confederate flag or a Nazi flag, you are declaring yourself an ENEMY OF AMERICA, you HATE AMERICA and AMERICANS, and you are a TRAITOR. Period. 

So ban away, because the First Amendment doesn't protect expression that is seditious or treasonous. There are nine limitations on the First Amendment's guaranteed freedom. Expression that is seditious or treasonous is one of them.

for what reason?

do they create an imminent threat to public health and safety?

even if you're of those people that thing the flag stands for one thing and one thing ONLY, it is still just a symbol of a thing and not the thing itself....so once again, what imminent threat is created just by its mere presence?

if we begin to ban things for what we say they represent or because of how they make us FEEL, then wouldn't that create an environment when anything could be "erased" if enough people "say" something and then stir up enough FEELINGS?

funny how many people will use the "idiot! Nazi flags and symbols are banned in numerous countries!"

yes.... but doesn't that seem a bit ironic?  symbols of tyranny and oppression can be SO bad that the State DICTATES their removal?

• hamel5

No, but it shouldn't be flying from government buildings.   I kind of like seeing it on private property because it lets you know who the morons are.   

But, there are legitimate historical uses for it. 

While it was a flag of traitors and an enemy to America, it should be allowed. I just encourage you to shame people for using it. Report it to their employers, customers, etc. Even General Lee said it should be retired when the war ended, but white supremacists brought it back after WWII when Black Americans started demanding rights.

I don't agree necessarily. It represents the Confederate states during the civil war. Although they fought for some bad ideas, it is still a historical flag from our country. I am a history guy, so from that point of view I say it should not be banned. 

• ennui

No. It's like a banner from back in the day. We know who's on what side.

If a piece of cloth offends you, you likely have a very easy life and probably are in desperate need of a hobby

Let's just say it shouldn't be a question.  

Obvious evil should repel people

Lol.. does that hurt your feelings too? Lol

LAN