damla asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Can we discelebrate a bad event?

In one of my articles, I want to say "in these days, we are discelebrating the first anniversary of corona virus" 

This sounds very witty to me, but what do you think? How does it sound? Thank you in advance.

It is witty, but 95 percent of the population won't get it.  

Yes, by marking or revisiting it in 20:20 hindsight.

Made up words are perhaps witty for about 20 seconds.

I expect the 'woke', whoever they are, might seek to 'cancel' the anniversary.

What we do with anniversaries of unpleasant or dangerous events is not celebrate or even "discelebrate" but "mark" them.

No, it makes no sense.  A "celebration" is a joyous thing.  A pandemic is definitely not.

If you want to push it linguistically, you could say "uncelebrate" it, but that still sounds weird.

Leaving aside whether it's "very witty," people may not feel that a worldwide pandemic killing millions of people is an occasion for wit. If you go ahead with it "uncelebrate" sounds clearer but "mark the anniversary" may be more appropriate.

Once again, damla, you have invented a word that nobody will be able to understand. The function of writing an article is to clarify, to explain, something, not to be so obscure that your readers will not understand you. This word is not remotely witty, nor does it have any sense or meaning.

• Cogito

No - it's not a word, it's not even remotely 'witty'.  It's not a joking matter.

Sorry, I don't like it.

Celebration involves doing specific things we enjoy--special foods, gatherings of friends and family, blowing out candles, fireworks, singing together--to mark a happy or good event.

What happens when you "discelebrate"? Do we all do things we don't enjoy, like cleaning the litterbox, answering calls from unknown numbers, spending time with people who dislike us and aren't afraid to show it, and eating food we don't like?

If that's not "discelebration," then do we just not do anything celebratory? How is it different from what we do every other day?

The concept just doesn't work for me.