Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Should I put my car title in my name or my mom’s name?

I’m 17, and recently my grandma was diagnosed with cancer and is no longer able to drive. As a gift, she gave me her car for Christmas since I don’t have one. I’ll be 18 in 8 months and I’m concerned my mom may try holding my car over my head if the title is in her name, or may be unwilling to change the title to my name once I’m 18. I’m aware in the case I put the car in my name I would have to get my own insurance policy which may be more expensive, but I’d rather be safer than sorry especially since I plan to move out during the summer. My grandma is willing to do whatever I’d prefer when it comes to this since she knows my situation. My car is a 2009 Toyota, and I’m obviously only going to get liability on it. What should I do?

Title it in your name and your mother's name.  The insurance will be cheaper that way.

Time for a hear to heart with mom. Right now, her concern is for her mom & not on you. The car should be in your name & since Granny is willing, ask her to sign the Title. You can put in the date & mileage yourself. Then, you can take it to the DMV, with proof of insurance & a valid drivers license. There's no tax because Granny is a close relative. They'll issue a new Title. Is the registration up to date? If not, you'll have to pay that. Oh, and the fee for a new Title.

• car253

Anonymous had the best answer.   You have Grandma change the name on the title to "Grandma OR Whatever your name is.     If that will not work in your state then you have Grandma sign a transfer of ownership form from your DMV that transfers the car into your name but you do not turn it into the DMV until you turn 18. 

It would help if you post your state.   You would get more help. 

Check with your state, you may not be able to have it titled in your name until you are 18.  Yes, your insurance will be high.

Your grandmother may be able to add you to the title. If she can and does and here is "or" between your names, then you will be able to do what you want when you are 18 without any paperwork even if she passes away.

Whoever marked my answer negative is a moron.

Buy DVLA-Registered UK driving licence online. 

Today, it’s possible to interact with a range of government services online. Applying for your first driving licence is one example https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving... of something that can be sorted out much more efficiently these days on the web, compared to offline. Apply for a provisional licence Where to go? You [https://www.drivernvehiclelicensing.com/]

Because of Federal restrictions against minors entering into a contract, you cannot legally get your own insurance policy until you're age 18 so there's no point putting it in your name when you can't insure it. End of story. 

• Robert

Get your grandmother to write a letter to you and your mother stating that she is giving you the car as a gift. It is to be considered your car and the title placed in your name.  She should also include instructions that the vehicle not be operated until it is insured (for her protection).  Then if you feel this will cause an issue with your mother ask if your grandmother will allow  the vehicle to remain on her property until your birthday when you will collect it and insure it.  In any case the letter will be proof of her gifting you the car and that it is your property in the event you have an issue after you are 18.  Before you are 18 you are a minor and have no real rights to anything.  

• Anton

Are you honest?

If Granny is selling the car to you, you MUST title the car in your name. 

Anything else is a lie. 

Grandma can directly turn the vehicle over to you.  She signs the title as "seller." and you sign as "buyer."  You can do it now  In my state, you would have to pay sales tax based on the value of the vehicle.  State rules vary when it comes to transferring vehicles among family.  The age 18 issue only comes into play when someone has to borrow money to buy a car.  No one will lend to anyone under 18, because minors are not legally liable for contracts they sign.  (retired claims adjuster)

For the next 8 months your parents bear financial responsibility for any damage you do with the car. Keep the car in your name. If you're in California, your Grandmother can transfer ownership and registration to you and for family member that costs nothing. The car will still need a fresh smog certificate to transfer title to you. If you have money for gas, upkeep, future registrations and insurance, good, enjoy your car. Get a job.