Is it OK to give up trying to have productive days for awhile? I just haven’t been well. Sleep, internet and sometimes video games seems to?

be my best ability right now.

Favorite Answer

Unfortunately, the answer is both yes and no. While taking a short break can be a good thing, you need to set a firm limit on the time you take off, as getting out of a routine can make it even harder to get back into being productive.

For example, when I was going through depression after after effectively being told that 'I should never have considered taking this course' due to my disability, I didn't allow myself to stay in bed/pyjamas, each morning I'd get up, shower and get dressed etc, as if I was going out, only then would I allow myself to play video games or browse the Internet. 

Every few days I'd set myself some task I had to do, tidying and hoovering my flat, mowing the lawn, pruning bushes or other garden work or just going for a short walk.

This made it a lot easier to stay in a good routine and made it possible to resume work, because every few days I would achieve 'something', even if it was minor.

Depends on what you classify as "productive".  For some people, just doing what they normally do every day (Get out of bed, take a shower , get dressed, go to work, do what you're supposed to do at work, come home, eat dinner, and go to bed)  would be unexceptional, and not particularly productive. For them that's just meeting the bare minimum for the standards they have set for themselves.  On the flip side some people are just so limited in what they can/are willing to do, that just getting out of bed is a monumental accomplishment.

In my experience it helps if you have people in you life who don't tolerate self-pity, and keep high personal standards.