Anonymous

Why don't any places hire 14 year olds?

I'm 14 and I want to get a job so I can have my own money. According to New York, I can work at 14, but no place I've been to yet will hire anyone under 16. Why?

You can work anywhere at 14 but not at any commercial job. It's illegal.  You must be 16 to work at any commercial job.  They have to report your DOB, ss#, everything to the IRS and the state, deduct healthcare, ss, taxes, etc. and you don't expect them to do something illegal for you, do you?  They would lose their license, be fined, potentially be put out of business.  What you can do is odd jobs for neighbors, walk a small dog, wash some windows, rake leaves - whatever they would have you do.

• Judy

Thefe are many federal restrictions on when under-16s can work, and what they are allowed to do.

#1 Labor laws say you cannot do anything dangerous.

#2 Labor laws say you can't work during school hours  AND you are limited to how many hours you can work a week.  Guess what it is not 40 hours and it is not 20 hours.

#3 You have to do your HOMEWORK!

#4 You have to take days off when your parents want you to.

#5 You have no job skills or training beyond doing household 'chores'

#6 You cannot pass a background check

#7 Every business out there right now has 50 QUALIFIED people who have experience, can work long hours, and do not have homework or parents to worry about applying for jobs...explain  EXACTLY what it is you can do BETTER for...let us say a GROCERY STORE than Jill ..over there...who is 19 and has worked as a cashier at Target for a year? 

• Scott

For one, 14 year olds can't work in certain industries and can only work limited hours. That limits their employment opportunities.

Insurance & liability reasons. I had my mom fake a birth certificate when I was 13 to get a job when I was 14 but not NY and that was 40 years ago.  You can cut grass when it warms up, maybe shovel show in the winter.

Because of the limitations set by the labor laws. It makes you ineligible for most positions or prevents you from fitting in the schedule.

From:

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job... on where you live, there may be laws and limitations in place for the type of work you can perform and the number of hours you can work per week. For example, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) sets the following restrictions for 14 and 15-year-olds in the US:

You cannot work on any job considered hazardous, such as mining, logging, any job that requires working with explosives or power saws, ladder work, warehousing and other similar roles

You can work up to 3 hours per day on a school day and up to 8 hours on a non-school day

You can work up to 18 hours total in a school week and up to 10 hours in a non-school day

You can only work between the hours of 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. (except from June 1 through Labor Day, when you can work from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.)

However, there are exceptions to the number of hours you are permitted to work under special circumstances, such as if you are participating in a state-sponsored work-study program."....