Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 weeks ago

Why does the UK still have tv licence?

The USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and other European countries don’t have it. 

Why does the UK still have it? Just seems very backwards and absurd

• 1 week ago

Simply because the BBC does not have advertising. Other countries stop every few minutes to show adverts, but thanks to licence fees, the BBC is able to broadcast complete shows. If licences are abandoned, advertising starts. 

• ?
    1 week ago

We pay taxes to avail of public services. The TV licence is basically a tax to pay for public broadcasting.

Public broadcasters, like the BBC (or RTE in Ireland where I live) are not run by media corporations where the motivation for programming is to maximise intake from advertising and make a tidy profit for shareholders. You only have to look at biased US news channels and the utter trash that's spewed into homes to realise why a publicly funded broadcaster is a good idea.

These broadcasters can also make content that would never be created if you followed a just-for-profit model. The BBC for example hosts Open University lectures. They have public service programmes where the police make public calls for help in certain crimes. They show documentaries, investigations, public and political affairs programmes etc that few commercial stations would. In fact, I'd say about 90% of what I know about the natural world and the species living in it is the result of David Attenborough BBC series over the years.

So no. The backward thing is having all your content being chosen by big corporations to show to a public who have no say in how they're run.

We get access to over 100 channels on Freeview programming for a small yearly fee, a lot less than you pay for 1 month cable.

I mean, in my opinion not having free access to basic healthcare is backwards and absurd and that encompasses most of the rest of the world. But you know....  

• Maxi

With notable exceptions such as the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Portugal and the Netherlands; most countries in the developed world require TV owners to have a license.

The UK TV license pays for the BBC, which provides the WORLD WIDE service.... so UK residents pay for that as well as the BBC TV, BBC radio stations etc

It pays for the public broadcasting service - i.e the BBC. Most countries public broadcasters are pretty terrible, as they're chronically underfunded.

In the UK, any household watching or recording live television transmissions as they are being broadcast (terrestrial, satellite, cable, or Internet) is required by law to hold a television licence. The television licence is the instrument used to raise revenue for the Government to fund the BBC; it is a form of taxation.

With many people using the internet to provide their audio visual entertainment, it is likely that this tax is headed for the grave.  I have never owned a television. 

I'm an American who worked for the US Army in Germany.

When I lived there we had a German tax man show up and ask us why we didn't pay taxes on our two TVs.  (FYI:  They knew how many we had by their use of technology, like the kind you see in spy movies that can look through walls and such).

I told him that we were exempt from the tax because both Govts exempted us fro the tax.

He gave me forms to take to the Army JAG (legal office) for them to fill out and forward to the German tax office.

FWIW, if you have a radio in your car in Italy...it's taxed.  They tax the airwaves.  Many Italians pull the radio out and replace it with a CD player.

Because there's still plenty of people who will pay it.  If every household stopped paying they wouldn't be able to do anything about it.