Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 2 months ago

How do I set up my DVD player for my RCA TV?

I have the RCA/HDMI adapter and cables and have those hooked up to my DVD player, but do not know where to hook the red, yellow, and white cables on my TV. Since Yahoo! Answers wouldn't let me upload my photos due to the size, here is what the back of the TV looks like: http://imgur.com/gallery/hTGtVwn

It is a 1992 RCA Home Theatre TV.

I have played around with it some, found out that Input 1 is channel 91 and was able to switch both VCR channels to 91 (tried this with Input 2 and 92 as well), and now I have a black screen. I'm not sure how to get it to actually play the DVD player, though. 

The nice thing is that the TV does have a demo of all of the settings, but I had already been through all of them before finding it and it didn't show anything else. I did find somewhat of a manual for the TV, but it is all warnings of what not to do (i.e. don't spill water on it, don't put a blanket over the back of the box, etc.).

I am using this TV because it still works and it's extremely heavy and hard to move. I figured I will use it until it dies. I am not concerned about the highest quality picture, I just want it to connect to my DVD player, which should be possible since I'm using a converter. This is just a TV for my bedroom to help me fall asleep at night and does not need to be the fanciest thing in the world. About the category, I wasn't aware Yahoo! put it there and will change it. 

Here is the back of the DVD player: http://imgur.com/gallery/Qhvcffs

First of all, this should be in TVs, not Home Theater.

Next, it would help to know what outputs the DVD player has.

On top of which, why are you trying to still use an old CRT TV set ? If you want modern quality video, buy a modern flatscreen TV, and they are far cheaper these days than old TVs were in the 90s. You can get a modern 4K Samsung 43 inch TV at Best Buy for $300. BluRay players start at about $70.

Yes, if you still want to use some old analog formats, like VHS, then it makes sense to keep a CRT set for that. But, trying to watch modern content on such an old TV makes zero sense.

I know of what I speak, as we have five TVs in this house of ours, including a retro audio/video system that includes two S-VHS VCRs and a 29 inch CRT set. The only thing I watch on that set is VHS tapes.