Do the following sentences have the same meaning?

I haven't seen rain in awhile.

I haven't seen rain a long time ago.

Favorite Answer

No. "Ago" can ONLY be used with the simple past, NOT the present perfect. "Since" and "for" can be used with the present perfect.

I haven't seen rain for a long while.

I haven't seen rain since last month. 

"awhile", an adverb meaning "for a short time"in the first sentence apparently differs from the second one meaning " You haven't seen rain for a long period of time".

Only the first option is correct, and tells the reader that the speaker has not seen rain in a long time. 

The second option is grammatcially incorrect. To make it correct, and mean the same as the first option you could say:

The last time I saw rain was a long time ago.

• denise

The second sentence should say, "I haven't seen rain in a long time".

No.  The first is talking about a period of time, from some point in the past until now.  It is correct as written.  thus "have seen" (have not seen): from some past point until now.

The phrase "a long time ago" is talking about some particular time in the past, and has nothing to do with the period since that time, so trying to describe what happened in the intervening period of time is not sensible.  The point of "a long time ago" is to discuss that time and before, not that time and since.  The idea of "have seen" is inappropriate.  "Did not see", or "had not seen" could work: both involve termination at some past point in time.

I grew up in Florida a long time ago, so I never saw snow when I was young.  That could work. I had never seen snow until I moved to Alaska a long time ago.

I haven't seen rain for a while.

I haven't seen rain for a long time.

You can't use "ago" in that sentence.  It's used when speaking now in regard to something in the past.

The second one is wrongly phrased. But they would mean the same thing.

Say it like this: "I haven't seen rain since a long time ago."

Source(s): Native American English speaker for 68 years.
  • Kerri

Yes they have the same meaning..just worded differently but worded correctly.