What do you think of modified Infrared cameras for landscape photography?

Landscape photography isn't that interesting but when its in Infrared  greens look like snow and your seeing something different.

Also I have seen people using IR flash lights that light up the place on the camera but its still pitch black to everyone else.Infrared converted cameras are on eBay for 75 pounds.Are they accurate?Are they easy to use?Does a IR filter on a normal camera work?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

You're looking at a photo that was taken using light you normally don't see. What happens then is some translation of wavelengths so that you will see what was taken. That's why green comes out white in you example. Accuracy? IR strength can be measured. That's where you check accuracy but even then, if you want different results, get different IR values.

Normally, cameras come with an IR blocking filter in front of the digital sensor. Conversions remove that filter and replace it with an IR pass-thru filter. There are different strengths of pass-thru filters depending on what part of the IR spectrum you want to capture. Anyway you go, it'll always be dreamlike. Also, this means you can't just slap an IR pass-thru filter in front of your regular camera's lens and expect to get these effects. Then again, most IR filters out there are for blocking.

• Sumi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In order to produce IR results, the sensor must be converted.  You cannot simulate IR results simply by adding a filter.

As for whether an IR camera is "worth it" or not, even at just 75 pounds, is up to you to decide.  I'd say it could be a cheap way of getting into IR photography while allowing you to decide if you like it or not.

Not sure what you mean by "accurate."  Accurate, how?

Are they easy to use?  Yes, any pocket camera or DSLR is easy to use.  Simply point and shoot.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i cant tell you how to set things up .. what i can tell you is infrared works by 'emitting' infrared and detecting what bounces back so range will be very limited depending on the strength of the emitter ..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.