As a music producer, how would you suggest I find out which style / genre of music I produce?

I'm aware that genre is a limiting factor that doesn't really mean much -  however for this particular project, I am looking at selling my music / beats, for which it is necessary to have an existing entry point / qualifier so that people have an idea what they are getting into or possibly purchasing..

I have found it impossible to self-categorise... my gut says something like 'Dreamscape', 'Dream-hop' or 'Electro grunge' might be appropriate, but these don't exist as far as i'm aware. Possibly falls into chillwave, synthwave etc, not quite sure it's quite like this though..

I am well over 20 years and have been playing music at least for 15 years of my life. Although I'm relatively new to music production, and maybe that doesn't make me a music producer, I am interested in doing it, and enjoy doing it. 

Before you put down a sarcastic unhelpful troll answer, don't waste mine and your time. Helpful answers only, please.

• Foxy
    Favorite Answer

Create your own style, no need to catalog. Musical genres are just art, you can create what you like, if it sounds good, what does the genre matter?

I'll bet any amount of money you're under the age of 20. Every single one of you kids think you're " music producers". When in fact it takes years to learn music production.