A driver slammed on suddenly and I hit him?

A taxi driver slammed on suddenly and I hit him, he had no reason to slam on and broke suddenly in the road. The road was empty and I didn’t have time to break because it happened so quickly. I have it all on CCTV. He knew I was there as well. 

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It is automatically your fault if you hit him in the rear. In the future I would suggest for you to pay more attention and not follow so closely.

• 1 month ago

The ONLY exception is if the driver in the rear is STOPPED and the driver in the front is REVERSING.

• 1 month ago

Try not to anger other drivers by tailgating and this won't happen again.

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your fault, all the way.   Feel free to bring your evidence that will prove your guilt.

Any collision that is to the rear is the fault of the driver in the rear.  The ONLY exception is if the driver in the rear is STOPPED and the driver in the front is REVERSING. 

You didn't have time because you were following too close.  CCTV will show that to the judge.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

That sucks, you're totally at fault! Unless you can prove your scenario.. 

• 1 month ago

That is terrible, what is your question?

• 1 month ago

What is your question?

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In U.K. law you should have been far enough behind him to brake. The only way it would be his fault is if he was reversing.

Your insurance won't cover your repairs.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

he did it because he thought you were too close to him

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Almost always, the rear driver is considered at fault, not the driver who slammed the brakes. The legal reasoning being that the rear driver is always supposed to be at a safe stopping distance from other cars (even if most people usually aren't). Secondary supporting arguments include that drivers are supposed to keep their eyes on the road at all times, pay attention to hazards, drive at a reasonable speed, stop in a reasonable amount of time, etc. This is already set by precedent. If you can somehow get him on recording saying he did it intentionally with the intent of insurance fraud or whatever, that's the only way you *might* be able to avoid liability. That still sucks though, I'm sorry that happened.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.