Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 weeks ago

Is it normal for the doctor's staff to be rude to you if you are late for an appt? ?

I was 15 minutes late for a doctor's appt. as a new patient. When I was at the door this heavy-set woman in scrubs practically barked at me for being late. She took my temperature and asked the usual Covid health questions. She told me to sit and wait in the reception area again in a rude tone while she checked with the doctor if I was going to be seen or not. She came back after 2 minutes to tell me "yes". I was led to the room by a nurse, I guess, in scrubs who also was rude. All the while we're wearing masks. Not sure about his mask thing. People, I think, have this tendency to be rude behind the mask? I seriously thought I was going to wait for 30 minutes or more but I was seen by the doctor in under 10 minutes. She was also very nice, really thorough in her responses. I did not feel rushed at all, which is a first time for me. Should you go back if they are rude but the doctor is nice? 

• denise
    Favorite Answer

The reception staff are on the 'frontline' as such and they need to deal with all sorts of patients / customers and in these 'covid' times they have to be vigilant with questions / tests e.t.c. Plus you were late and they have to see if the doctor will still see you [they dont 'have' to], the doctors could be seeing these next patient due for their appointment/.

As for the 'reception' you received, Everyone has a 'bad' day, and it may have been 'that' day,  If you liked the doctor, you could go again, but try not to be late.  

Sure.  But the main think is whether the doctor does a good job.  

• Foofa

Medical staffers are under tremendous stress and risk right now so their tempers are probably short. But on top of that clinics have to schedule too many patients in one day just to cover the bills and labor costs. So being even a few minutes late can throw off the whole dynamic for the day. 

I have an appointment with my doctor next week. The telephonist warned me that in these Covid days they can't let people into the surgery before it's time for their appoiintment; nobody can wait in the waiting room. So it's ESSENTIAL to turn up a minute or two right on time, or a minute or two early.

You were extremely lucky your slot hadn't already been allocated to the next person, and if I were you I would focus on the fact that even if the staff were a bit brisk with you, YOU are the one who was in the wrong, AND you did still get to see the doctor.

PS I have no idea why you thought it was necessary to tell us the woman's build or appearance.

If anyone was rude here. It was you, by not having the decency to turn up on time

thats up to you if you want to go back or not

Did you even bother to call the clinic to let them know you were going to be late?   

• drip

You were rude. Setting them off by 15 minutes. They don’t just don’t wait for you, they move on. 

It is hard to see a person’s facial expression with a mask on. And maybe they were just trying being efficient.  And they should be wearing masks as should you. Not sure why you are unsure about this mask thing that has been going on for over 10 months.  And not sure why you felt the need to describe the nurse as heavy set. 

I love how you've lost track of the fact that YOU were horribly rude by being 15 minutes late.

The support staff is paid to keep the doctor running on time.   You know who the doctor is mad at when you aren't in the exam room on time?   The people you think were rude to you.   

And thanks to you, multiple people probably were shorted 15 minutes on their lunch break that day because they were running behind.

Keep your eye on the ball, Sparky.  

• JuanB

Great problem to have.  I show up early, the doctor's staff is rude, and I wait a long, long time to see the doctor.