Is it only private schools that have prefects head boy head girl ?

I only first heard about this in the fictional universe of jk Rowling's wizarding world Harry potter and her fictional character Ron's brother Percy he is prefect in the first 2 books 2 movies  and then 3rd  he was a head boy in gone 3rd book / movie 

• edward

Erm...my school had class representatives if that’s similar.  A class rep is an elected student responsible for getting class trips planned with teachers and student council, class fundraisers, ect.  Active student in the council is basically what they are.  They can’t currently have a position in the council though.  So for example i’m president already, i can’t be a class rep for my grade too, it has to be someone else.  They attend the meetings and have an office in the council building.  Nothing fancy.  I suppose head boy would’ve been me?  President right?

I went to a Grammar School in England and we had a head boy and a head girl each year from the sixth form. Prefects were a different group and were often chosen from the fifth form.  I think it was a way of giving certain children some responsibility but some of those people abused the privilege and became nasty bullies.

Those positions are in British schools- probably the private, boarding schools.