? asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 week ago

Anyone know how long it takes pasta to cook?

I'm still wondering.. my neighbor gave me some "home made" sauce recipe he swore on his step-fathers grave is the best thing. The kicker is, I just can't seem to get the pasta right. It either boils over or doesn't boil at all. At this point, I have no idea what to do

• 1 week ago
    Favorite Answer

Fresh pasta can cook faster than dried about 3 minutes.  Dried pasta depending on the type can take between 8 an 12 minutes, I have had some noodles that take 20 minutes. 

Look at the package it will tell you a time range for that pasta. 

If you are having problems with boiling over the problem is probably the pot you are using not the pasta. Use a large pot with plenty of water. (some recipes now use very little water and are using the starchy water for some of the sauce.)

Salt the water also.  a few tablespoons should be fine. you should be able to tell the water is salty but you don't want to choke on salty water. 

Do not put the salt in until the water has come to a boil. (It takes salt water longer to boil and some people say adding salt to the water first can damage the pan, I have never added enough salt to damage any pan)

Do not put the past in the water until the water has come to a boil. 

Stir the pasta to keep it from clumping up. Start timing once the water has returned to a boil. 

Oh, do not add oil to the water. It will prevent the sauce from being absorbed into the pasta. 

• 4 days ago

8 to 12 minutes

• ?
    5 days ago

It should say on the pasta pack.

• garry
    6 days ago

wait till it boils then about 10 minutes then it should be cooked , 12 minutes and is close to over cooked . and please use home made sauce on it , not the stuff thats ready made .

• 6 days ago

11-12 minutes. Sometimes it can take longer or often 8 minutes. The cooking time depends upon different shapes and thickness of pasta.

• ?
    1 week ago

Lots of people do        .

• kswck2
    1 week ago

If you can't get the pasta 'just right' then you do not know how to read. Read the box and put the pasta into BOILING water. 

I was in Culinary school with a kid that Swore you cook pasta by starting it in Cold water. Even the teacher/chef looked at him like 'What?' (He is a cashier now-still can't cook to save his life.). 

• 1 week ago

Nearly to cook pasta for 8 to 10 minutes.

Plan to cook your dried noodles for 8 to 10 minutes, contingent upon the sort of pasta. Nonetheless, begin testing it following four minutes as it might shift contingent upon the size of the noodle. In the event that you make new pasta noodles, you can just bubble briefly, some of the time multiple times.

• 1 week ago

It varies with the type of pasta and how you like it done.

I like my pasta al dente.  Penne takes maybe 12 minutes. Elbows maybe 8-9.  Spaghetti and linguine about 8.  But my go-to pasta currently is bucatini, which looks like a thick spaghetti but is really a hollow tube. Because it cooks from the inside as well as out (and also absorbs sauce both ways, therefore MORE SAUCE), it is the way I like it in 5-6 minutes.

If you insist on one cooking time for every pasta there is, you will be greatly disappointed with how many things turn out.

• 1 week ago

Depends what kind of pasta. Some takes a few minutes, some takes up to around ten minutes. If the pot doesn't boil at all, then clearly you are not using enough heat and if the pot boils over then you are using too much heat or filling the pot too full. Or your stove is faulty and isn't producing the amount of heat you think it is.