kevin asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

What’s the normal life span for a Parrot?

Like what age do they usually Die or stop living at? Just wondering how long would be normal to have and take care of a pet parrot?

google the question

Plan on putting them in your will because most can out live their owners. I just lost a Cockatiel who was close to 40 years old. Loved that little bird.

Large Macaws live 75 years on average. My Severe Macaw just died last year and as close s I could figure she was over 40.

Kevin, your weak pathetic parrot will be dead within weeks. Give it a big ole kiss while you still can.

• TK

An Amazon or an African Gray can live over 60-70 years.  Owners are advised to make plans for a parrot in their will because the bird will likely outlive the owner.

As others have said, the larger parrots can life 40+ years or more. The better their diet, the amount of exercise they are able to get, can allow some macaws and cockatoos to get up into their 80s or 90s.

An uncle of mine got an umbrella cockatoo when he was 25, he did not know how old the bird was at that time. My uncle was 25 in 1965. The bird died in 2018, and my uncle is still kicking around, So if the bird was a baby in 1965 it would have been 53 years old, but I'd say it was at least 5 to 10 years old when he got it, considering it had four owners by that point, and wasn't a common pet at the time. 

That varies with the parrot. It may be only a few years or you might want to include the parrot in your will. That's one of the factors included in "Pick a Perfect Parrot", Bird Talk, Jan. 1988.

you might be able to find that info online

• Rick

Typically, 10 to 60 yrs. or so.  Depends on the type of Parrot.  The larger ones live the longest.

A standard macaw can live up to 60 years. Big birds are very long-lived creatures. Average life span is about 40-50, still a long time. Most older bird owners have had their parrots since they were in their late teens/20's. They are literally a lifetime commitment.