Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 2 months ago

Dad won’t let me have my car in my name? ?

I bought my car at 18 my dad put his name then mine on it, I am now 22 and my car is fully paid off but my dad won’t let me have the title in my name. I live on my own pay everything myself they never spent a penny on my car. He says the insurance premiums would go up. I talked to my insurance and they said that’s not true. How should I approach this to him? He obviously lied but I am old enough and buying a house soon I want my car in my own name that I fully paid for 

• 7 days ago

Tell him that what if u get into a serious car accident and there are lawsuits. They might go after him if the car is in his name because he has money. But if they go after u it's not as big deal because it's not worth it to try to estract money from you. 

It's better for him to have no responsibility in this part. 

Not saying ur gonna be bad driver, u might even get into an accident that's not at fault 

In the off chance you aren't just trolling, get your dad on the phone with your insurance agent and have him explain it.

• Mr.357

Your dad probably voted for Biden too.  It is sad that we can't pick our family.  Insurance is based on the OPERATOR, not the owner.

Just buy your own car insurance and have the Registration and Title put in your own name. Your dad is lying to you....

• L

Just buy your own car insurance and have the Registration and Title put in your own name.  Your dad is lying to you...........he's probably doing this to get a Multi-car discount on his auto insurance.

• PANKO

Man up. Tell Dad that you're a man & pay your own way. Then take the car to a dealership & buy one for just you. Don't argue. Tell Dad that there's no argument. You have the final word & that you're leaving because of him. Put it in his lap. My kids left home at 19. They're doing fine. Always have.

• May

Airing personal business on a world wide forum is among the most foolish things one can do.  Some would say that only immature people do this.  Add that you are 22 and should know better.

Sigh........"They walk among us"

• Anton

Tell him that you will get to choose his nursing home.

I'm 17 and I'm in the same situatuation... oh wait, I'm unable to have it in my name until i turn 18.