Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

AM I OVERREACTING?

Hi guys, so me and my boyfriend were planning to open a restaurant, we had an idea and we spoke to our parents about it and after seeing the financial benefit of it My father started saying how hes always wanted to open a restaurant and has gone ahead and is opening one. Am I overreacting or is this just really sad? Like me and my boyfriend , it was our idea and hes just gone ahead and opening his own when in reality he would have been sitting on his *** if we hadn’t even spoken about it! Pls help I’m about to burst

• Jane

I totally understand how p**ed off you are about this. Having said that, in current times where it is pretty challenging to start a hospitality business, it might be useful for you to observe your father's progress and what works and doesn't- without any financial risk to you. In the meantime, continue to focus on your business idea, do your research, make sure you have your finger on the pulse. Get whatever training and experience you need, the future is going to be interesting!

Let dad take the risk, do his own thing- while you plan for your own smart ambitions.

• drip

Your father actually got finances, rented a building, set up a restaurant, hired employees and opened it up. 

That takes a lot of work.   what have you done about your restaurant in that same time?

Why can’t you two have a restaurant too?

And the idea of opening a restaurant is not an original idea. 

Yes you are over reacting. 

And opening a restaurant is NOT a good financial benefit. Most restaurants  close the first year. It is hard work and extremely long hours.

• Foofa

You're being silly. There's no reason why you can't have a restaurant while your father also has one. 

If you have the finance to invest with your bf plan to set up another Restaurant . Be a competitor to your father . Surely two young couple should be do to much better than an elderly person . If he does not have any restaurant experience you can defeat him. 

not a good idea really.   I have seen things like this.  BF and GF shared a business and when they split up, the business is also done.    I would wait until you guys get married and your husband who really invests the money!

You're likely taking things too serious in my opinion zxjq

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

• n2mama

Sorry, I feel like I’m missing something. Do you feel like your dad stole your idea? If you and your boyfriend want to open a restaurant, your dad opening a restaurant shouldn’t prevent you from doing so. Unless you were expecting your parents to provide funding for your restaurant and instead of funding you dad decided to open his own place instead....

Either way, restaurants are one of the riskiest business ventures, with 60% closing within one year of opening and 80% closing within 5 years of opening. And those numbers are pre-corona, the numbers of stand alone restaurants that have closed due to COVID are staggering. It’s estimated that 17% of all restaurants have closed permanently due to corona, which is over 110,000 restaurants nationwide. But if you have a great idea with financial benefits, feel free to take your business plan to a bank and get small business loan and go for it.

So what's stopping you and your boyfriend from going ahead with your plan? Yeah, it's annoying that your father took your idea and acted on it before you did, but does that stop you from doing the same thing??

This seems unlikely - opening a restaurant isn't a quick or easy thing to do.

But if so - so what?

• James

I mean hey at least you know it really is a great idea