Is Rap the same as Poetry?

I was just thinking how similar the two are.... Are they basically the same thing? And if there is a difference, what is that difference... thanks 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

No, it's a type of poetry.  In rap, as in poetry, the exact words and their arrangement are the entire art form.

The lyrics (the words) are absolutely 100% of everything in rap.  Nobody ever listens to a rap song for the catchy guitar riffs, or the epic drumming.  There are no rap awards for best lead guitarist or best vocalist, it's just about the lyrics.  If they mean something and if they rhyme properly, it's a good rap song.  

You can build an immortal rock & roll song around words like "whop bop-a-loo-bam a whop bam boom" or "oh yeah, kickstart my heart, oh yeah, baby", but it's nearly impossible to do that in rap.  It's only been done twice in the history or rap, and both of those artists were rockers at heart.  One was "hip hop, hibbit to the hibbit the hip hip hop til the night is gone" by Sugarhill Gang, and the other was "Bawita bomb de bang de dang diggy diggy diggy" by Kid Rock.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Exactly the same.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

YEP THATS TRUE

do u know that drake song called when i die put my money in the grave?

i thought about using th lyrics for a poetry competition

• 1 month ago

Yeah except rap is like every line ends in rhyme. Poetry is considered every other line rhymes 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • blank
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Rap is a form of poetry.

• Nick
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

All lyrics are a form of poetry

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.