Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 2 months ago

Is it unusual for a child who is almost 3 years old to be able to read a lot of words?

• Blush
    1 week ago

My niece knew a few

No.  I was a VERY early reader and was reading on my own before I was 4.  Two years old?  Depends if the child is reading or reciting from memory.

Nope, that's actually a good thing.

• L

Not with their parent's constant help.  With my first born, I spent a lot of time with him; reading, teaching him to read and spelling.  

Not really.   It depends on what you mean by a lot.

Most (but not all) preschoolers that I've seen do that aren't really reading.   They recognize the image of the word.   It's very much like when you or I see a stop sign or the Golden Arches.   We know it means stop or McDonald's without having to read the sign.     I've also seen preschoolers appear to be reading entire story books, but really, they've just committed them to memory.   Ask them to read a book that no one has read to them before and they can't. 

A child that is actually reading can read phrases and sentences, not just recognize words. 

Unusual? yes

Exceedingly rare? No