Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 week ago

Declawed cat?

I just adopted a declawed cat that is coming home in two days. I think declawing a cat is so awful and cruel but I felt drawn to this cat. His last owner passed away and he was having such a hard time at the shelter. He is very and just broken hearted but I live in a quiet apartment with no other animals and I knew that I could hopefully help heal him. I’m trying to get as educated as possible on declawed cats. Will he still be able to jump? Will he enjoy something like a cat tower? What kind of toys do they like?

@yaboo do you have two brain cells? I didn’t declaw my cat I adopted him that way READ

• ?
    4 days ago

The cat will behave like any other cat. The only difference is the inability to defend itself outside. So, a declawed cat should be treated as an indoor cat only. Cats are sedated during the operation so there shouldn't be any residual effects. The back claws are still there so there should be no problem getting a launching grip when jumping. Fine job on rescuing this animal. We recently saved a cat from certain death in winter. It was grossly underweight and had worms. A year later and the cat is normal size, very active and happy. Very smart too. It lets me know when it wants to go outside to take a dump so no need for an annoying litterbox. 

5 days ago

Congratulations on adopting him!! You did a great thing. So, you're going to need to keep him indoors since he doesn't have his claws which is important in defense and escaping. He would still like a cat tower though, since they can jump up on it. Cats like to be up high. I think any cat toys should still work, since they don't need claws to play with it. I agree btw, declawing is extremely cruel. Good luck!!

6 days ago

I inherited a 20 year old persian declawed kitty. She's always been an "inside" kitty. Once, I went outside, for a moment, & left the door open. She came out (about a foot) & cried until I went inside. She knows it's dangerous & forbidden.

Yes, he'll still jump & mine likes her scratching post. She still wants to sharpen he "claws". They're still kitty & need you (brush him, talk to him, feed him high protein). 

• 1 week ago

You can NEVER let the catchild outdoors unless you have him on a harness and lead.  Get him plenty of toys to play with and a nice comfy bed.  Shower him with LOVE.  

• 1 week ago

Well I declawed my cat and I was happy I did if your cat is destroying thing then yes get her or him declawed

• 1 week ago

If the cat has no problems with the surgery then he can jump and do just about anything. The cat will not be able to grab or cling onto things, but I have seen them go through the motions of sharpening their claws, you know using a cat tree and such. Never ever let it go outside, it will be unable to protect itself and climb a tree or a fence for safety. All cats should be kept indoors for a happy and  long healthy life.

Source(s): Bred and showed Balinese Cats and Kittens for years.
  • ?
    1 week ago

He will be able to do everything any other cat can do, except scratch with his front paws.  

And getting declawed could well have been done instead of having him put down or sent off to a shelter. 

• Maxi
    1 week ago

Declawed cats often have pain and many will stop using their litter box as it is too painful for them, so will toilet on beds/furniture/clothes....... in so far as anythig else, before they have no claws they can find it hard to climb and so jump, so you will need to make sure any cat tree is suitable for jumping up rather then climbing, like any other cat a variety of toys of different textures, some cats like cat nip, some don't ( mine doesn't) rye grass is nice and easy to grow and they chew it ( as cat nip is if the cat likes it) which as it is an indoor only cat it is nice to have plants it can eat/play with that are safe

• 1 week ago

Yes he will still be able to jump. They do still enjoy cat towers. They will even try to scratch the posts even though they have no claws. Don't avoid buying scratchers either. My declawed cat loves cardboard scratchers. She will "scratch" them and sleep on them. They enjoy all the same toys cats with claws enjoy with one exception. Obviously they cant climb so don't buy a climbing post or anything that requires the cat climb. 

• 1 week ago

Declawed cats still have the same urges as clawed cats, so provide some soft scratching posts if the urge strikes him. Other than that, until they are OLD, you will have a normal kitty that can jump, but maybe not climb as well, so anything you get, make sure he can jump easily from shelf to shelf, tower to tower. They can play with any old cat toys they wish, and still bat them around with their paws and try and catch things with their mouths. 

It's really only when they are elderly that you have to worry, because with a lot of declawed cats comes painful arthritis in thier paws. This may make it very hard for them to use the litter box and bury their waste, so a lot end up doing their business outside the litter box. You don't say how old this poor kitty is, but around 8-10 is when they start entering their senior years, so be on the lookout for exposed poo and pee in the box, then accidents around the home. Signs of arthritis can also include not wanting to jump as much, being grounded (not climbing), loss of appetite, and general lethargy. 

Go to your vet if you notice this as he ages, and they should set you up with some mild painkillers for your kitty. You may also have to line areas with pee pads. Cats tend to mark like dogs and go in the same areas in the home. This is a just in case. I have seen this a lot with declawed kitties and their owners simply put out pee pads and give them medication as needed, nothing else to do. Good luck on your new baby :)