Are any wheels tubeless if you seal the spoke holes with electric tape and use a tubeless valve?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

You can get conversion kits with rim tape.  However, you are better off getting a specific rim tape that has the indentations to accept a tubeless tyre.  You are looking at the tyre bedding into the rim tape and just going with ghetto might not be best.  Speaking of which, have a look on youtube for ghetto tubeless conversion.

• D50
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I doubt electrical tape will seal the spoke holes adequately. And you have to have a rim and tire that are suitable; "regular" ones won't seal adequately. At best, you'll be riding around with a slow leak if you cut these corners.

• David
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Traditional clincher rims will not seat well enough against the tires to allow being run tubeless - Unless you do what’s called ”ghetto tubeless”.

You MIGHT be able to use electric tape in a TL setup, IF you have TL-ready rims and appropriate tires.

Given how thick and ”smeary” the adhesive on electric tape often is, I’d much prefer to use another kind of tape.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I don't think there are any tubeless tires out there. Perhaps if you have a solid wheel, without spokes, then a tubeless tire may be feasible. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Bahahahaha! 🤣  Not hardly!  From LIV cycling - the female version of Giant brand bicycle...  What You’ll Need

Tubeless-compatible tires and rims

Tubeless sealant

Rim Tape (the correct width for your rim)

Tubeless valve (the correct length for your rim – some road bike rims may require a longer valve)

Scissors

Sharp pick or small Phillip’s head screwdriver

Valve Core Remover or needle nose pliers

Tire Levers

Tubeless sealant injector (optional)

Air compressor or Giant Control Tank Tubeless Inflator

Floor pump

https://www.liv-cycling.com/global/campaigns/how-t...

There's a quick video at the top of the webpage.  So, NO...not just any rims (wheels) can be converted to tubeless.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.