Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 2 months ago

Does attending an ACS hearing for my son's kids obligate me in any way to take the kids? ?

I live in New York and my son's kids have been in foster care for a few months now (mama is a mess). I was informed of this by a social worker but said upfront that I'm done raising kids. Last week I received another call about an upcoming hearing saying it would be nice if the kids have some relatives there. I asked what was the purpose of my being there and couldn't get a strange answer. If I attend the hearing is the judging going to assume I'm taking the kids?

• Kerri

The judge won’t assume anything about you as potential guardians unless you have presented yourself to CPS and courts as willing, wanting and able to do so. The upcoming court case, as well as other court dates, are necessary to make sure that the kids are in a safe environment and assess the continued involvement or termination of biological parental rights and finding a permanent home and if that means reunification of them and their natural mother (is she getting help and working to get them back?), or if foster parents want or will be encounter as adoptive parents. Asking for extended biological family members to attend hearings allows for decisions made concerning the kids can be made with at least part of natural family in the loop. You could still potentially be part of their lives as the grow up as their grandmother without having to be full time parents.

I understand you don't want to adopt your grandchildren or foster them, but is it really true that you don't want anything to do with them, you have no interest in what becomes of them?  

No, you cannot be legally forced to take care of your grandchildren.

If you are sure that you don't want to get involved or take custody of the children then you should skip the hearing. You can rest assured that your presence isn't being requested so you can just sit there and look pretty. You will be expected to offer input on the situation especially since you say "the mama is a mess" and yes quite possibly also to take the children into your care. If you don't want to commit to the situation then stay away. 

Who knows? But you don't really appear to have much family feeling, do you? Are your son and grandchildren not in your heart? Do you really not care at all about what happens to them? You are just "done raising kids" and that's that is it? If so, they are better off without you.

Good Luck to them!!

• Kelley

It shows that your son has a support system to raise his kids.  If you don't go his kids might be adopted out.

• Audrey

Yes and social services will try and "guilt" you into taking them. If you don't want to deal with that crap, just don't go.