Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 2 months ago

What is the cheapest/best way to become a helicopter pilot in Oklahoma?

Flying a helicopter has been my dream since I was 7 or 8. Due to the pandemic I'm unemployed, I've been working cruddy warehouse jobs my entire life and I figure that now would be a great time to make a change. I'm in the middle of Oklahoma but have no issue with relocating to make this happen. The absolute ideal situation is a company that would pay my training or enable me to get a discount on the courses because of my employment there. Does anyone have any suggestions? (other than military, because I would crumble in a battlefield type situation- mad respect for them but I'm not able to do that.)

Favorite Answer

I had a friend in high school who got a job at a local municipal airport and then as an employee he got a slight discount on training and aircraft rentals. It was maybe 10% less than the general public would have paid so it certainly didn't make his pilot training free, but it was better than nothing.

The other thing he did was he took people up as soon as he legally could. For example one time we had a group of 4 guys including him where he took us up for a flight just for the fun of it and the 3 of us non-pilots all pitched in to cover the airplane rental and fuel. We got to experience flying in a small aircraft and he got an hour of flight time to add to his log book at no cost to him.

• ?

Join the military - problem solved. 

Quote: "The absolute ideal situation is a company that would pay my training or enable me to get a discount on the courses because of my employment there."

Sorry, but that doesn't exist except for the military. Period, end of story. Don't even waste your time looking. Been there, done that. Flying helicopters is damned expensive, so unless you can qualify for training loans to the tune of $75,000 to $100,000, you're SOL.