Do you agree with social media giants & universities that killing free speech is helpful to the country?

The social media are PRIVATE enterprises with no obligation to allow everyone to be a member.

There is established limits against free speech. For example child pornography is not free speech and it can be banned. Inciting a crowd to commit violence is also not free speech. Plotting openly against the US government to commit treason is not free speech either. OTOH, sports participants kneeling to protest racial discrimination and police violence are protected by the first amendment.  Besides, the first amendment does not apply to private businesses. Businesses can ban free speech within their own company. Therefore social media companies can ban hate speech, child pornography and of course Trump's lies. 

• garry

no , then how will things change without another opinion .

It is abundantly clear the more we suppress language, the more it is going to radicalize people with unpopular opinions.  People must be free to express their opinions.  Imagine if we started banning people from social media for criticizing white people or men.  You think the riots of the past decade were bad? 

I always think of Langston Hughes in these cases.  Many of his poems are about suppressing one's opinions and dreams - dreams that were controversial in their day.  Opinions censored have the propensity to explode.  

Frankly, I don't think we would have seen the Capitol building overrun if we as a society bothered to hear the fears and complaints of the people who did it, just as we probably would not see all of the race riots if we actually listened and did something to try to resolve the complaints of those people either.  

Instead we left labels the Capitol rioters deplorables, terrorists, racists, and white supremacists instead of hearing that they want fewer taxes so they can keep what they earn (as opposed to socialism and high tax social programs), increased security because there is a high crime rate in their cities (interpreted as being racist), wanting people to be in power on the basis of merit instead of race (also seen as being racist), and not to be regarded as privileged on the basis of their race (also seen as being racist).  

Meanwhile, the right demonizes the BLM protesters as thugs and terrorists while they demand changing the way police interact with people so that it does not escalate to the point that people are shooting at each other after committing a crime.  This after decades of being thought of as second class citizens.  

No, we should not restrict free speech, we just need constructive forums to hear each other.

NO it is not helpful to a country!!! 

The great French Revolutionary, Voltaire, said 'I may not agree with what a man says, but I defend his right to say it'.  

Any responsible western society should be liberal enough to hear all opinions, whether they like them or not.

Once expressions of  different  opinions is stopped, then the country becomes dictatorial and a 'one-party' state.

Those stupid social media giants and universities!  Sometimes I want to yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre, and they just won't let me.  Stupid media and universities!

your notion of free speech probably is not the same as the Supreme Court's definition.  universities are now fairly well known for political correctness -- which is part of why many have little ability to attract people critical of leftism except in the STEM areas and hard sciences.

I only agree with silencing free speech if they disagree with me

no i do not agree. I have also not heard of a school or influencer who supports something like this. Inhibiting free speech seems like hagwash if you ask me. Maybe social media is already doing this to people tho psychologically