Do you always need to replace thermal compound when you remove a heat-sink?

I had to take a look under the heat-sink of my GPU. Thermal compound was not dried up, so I just mushed it back down when I was done inspecting what I had to inspect.

Will this present issues with the thermal conductivity? Should I open it back up, remove the thermal paste, and apply new thermal paste?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I would normally replace the paste if I had cause to disassemble it. Paste is cheap and it is a simple matter to clean and replace while you have it apart. However if you have already reassembled I would test first check the temps with OCCT, if they are excessive replace the paste, otherwise probably best to leave it.

https://www.ocbase.com/

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes i do I remove all the Previous from the CPU and the Heatsink so i Know it is fresh and ready to go

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not really, but do it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Always!                                   

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

yes.........................................................

• 2 months ago

You are probably advised to replace it, If its not dried up and you think there's no chance of air pockets then you could use the old. Personaly I would clean the old off and put on new.

• 2 months ago

No. If the compound is not dried up, I see no reason to reapply what is already there. By pulling it apart, the whole relationship between surfaces has changed so when you reassemble, new conductivity will be established between microscopic irregular surfaces. 

• 2 months ago

That's down to you I guess.  Normally, just as a matter of doing things right, I always clean off both surfaces and apply new compound. At least then I know the CPU is properly transferring heat to the cooler. Heat compound does not last forever either and has probably lost some of its effectiveness. If you have the time I would say apply new paste.

• 2 months ago

if it is working fine, you got away with it this time ... but i'd not bet on that happening again

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Ideally you should but I find that reusing the old gunk isn't bad at all.

• 2 months ago

Not really, but do it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.