Why are standard transmissions better for offroading?

I was watching Scotty Kilmer and he was talking about how standard transmissions are better for offroading but did not explain why. What is the reasoning behind this? 

Mostly comes down to a matter of personal technique, style, and availability. Both have specific advantages, and both are used. Manual has a clear advantage for descent control, auto has an advantage in deep mud... clutches hate mud.

Better low speed power control. Try it.

You shouldn't ask questions like this. Yahoo answers is full of poorly educated, unintelligent morons who have never driven a manual transmission, and dont understand why they are better than automatics in many areas.

I dont know about off-roading but I would rather have a manual because they are more durable, and I can choose what gear to be in.

An automatic might upshift or downshift at the wrong time, causing you to lose traction or get stuck. I imagine that if I was off roading I could just leave it in 1st or 2nd the entire time and not have to worry about a computer up-shifting into 3rd or downshifting into 1st when i dont want it to. 

The flip side is, there are surely certain situations where an auto would be better. Like in rock crawling or whatever, it would be easier to gently and slowly get moving from a stop. With a manual that's impossible because once you let the clutch out you have to get to a certain minimum speed (like 2-3 miles per hour) otherwise the vehicle will stall. 

My experience says that an automatic will do everything a manual will, and do it better.  

But you can put a manual transmission in gear and push start it.

Now, we don't have time upshifting and downshifting a 5-6 speed manual transmission vehicle. Back in the 90's, a lot of people were driving a manual transmission vehicle. Now, most people are driving a 6-8 speed automatic transmission vehicle.