Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 2 months ago

Is Chinese food in the US and Canada real Chinese food as in what they eat over in mainland China?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Chinese chefs are masters at taking local ingredients and mixing them with classic chinese spices and techniques and making "Chinese" food that appeals to American taste.

• 2 months ago

In fact it is not. Chinese food in the United States or Canada has been modified to suit consumers' tastes. In the same way, Western food has been slightly adjusted in China to meet the tastes of local consumers.

• 2 months ago

It's adapted to locally available ingredients and local tastes.

• 2 months ago

no they eat fake chinese food made of plastic

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Chinese chefs are masters at taking local ingredients and mixing them with classic chinese spices and techniques and making "Chinese" food that appeals to American taste. A good many classic Chinese dishes actually originated in this country, including chop suey.  I once searched out an authentic Chinese restaurant in San Fransisco, and really didn't care for the food. Chinese-American food is a distinct cuisine, and I quite like it. I have also eaten "Chinese" in Western Europe, and it leans toward the local cuisine. In Madrid we ate at "Vapour", where the whole menu was steamed dumplings.

• 2 months ago

It relies upon the eatery. If you somehow happened to eat at a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown segments of the city, odds are you could get credible Chinese dishes. It's anything but an assurance, however your chances are superior to going to some place like Panda Express or such inexpensive food chains.

Most Chinese eateries in the US and Canada oblige westerner's taste, so they need to change their plans. Furthermore, what makes any dish real isn't exactly how it is cooked, however the fixings they use which isn't generally conceivable to get in North America.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Of course not. American Chinese food is Completely different. 

• CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, but if you make friends with someone from China - get them to take you to a Chinese restaurant of their choice. Likely there will be some words with the hostess and a 'different' menu will be brought to your friend -  let them order for you.  (Fried pig ears are pretty good!)

• 2 months ago

Not likely.  I've been to China (Beijing and Shanghai) and I've seen what they the natives eat when they take their meals outside, which many do.  It's no where close to the Chinese food you and I get in the super markets.  What we get in the markets is typically full of sauces and salt.  What they eat in the street is basically white rice and veggies without sauces...very little meat.

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Unless you are going to fly to China and speak Chinese to a restaurant owner there I see no point in people asking this question every couple of days here.

You walk into a restaurant and eat their food. You either like it or you don't like it.

We are done here. Some of it is very ethnic, some of it is not. It's food.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.