Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 2 months ago

Can codeine make you get a headache then fall asleep and have very strange dreams?

My doctor gave me codeine for pain and I took some this morning at 5am then they made me feel very odd and I climbed back into bed and fell asleep and had a very strange dream that I stole some Chinese little boy and flew him up to heaven to see his dead grandmar then flew him back to his family who were jealous he got to see his grandmar and they didn’t so they learn to fly like me and started chasing me..... now Iv just woke up it’s 10:40am and I have such a head ache!! Is this what codeine does to you? They were 30mg tablets and I took 2, as instructed by my doctor for gallstone pains. 

• Marc

Yes absolutely. It is a mind altering substance! If it is too much call your Dr and consult about other options that may be available

All common side effects and they'll go away as you get used to taking it. It's usually not the best idea to start on the maximum dose as you'll experience worse side effects and you have no where to go if your pain increases. See how you go on 30mg and take paracetamol or ibuprofen for the headache.

• Tavy

Yes it has that affect on some people. My husband has Parkinson's, he was prescribed codeine and his body shut down.

It's not for everyone.

Oh yeah definitely, I once took codeine after wisdom tooth surgery and I had the worst dream ever.  It literally felt like I was possessed by a demon and was lifted off the bed into the wall. The demon spoke some weird language and then I called out Jesus to help me and I woke up it felt so real that I never took codeine again. The next day I didn't take the codeine because I was so scared lol.

Yes, as an addict of painkillers, you should expect many more strange dreams.