Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 2 months ago

what does it take for a tornado to form. ?

i am on a hike on the great mountain of St.Peak. The temp was 90 degrees F but has suddenly dropped to 50. should i head for shelter 

Favorite Answer

You're already sheltered in a facility, remember?  "MY MENTAL hospital nurse just beat my butt raw with a stick after i acted up at reccess. Can i transfer to another home ?"

• ?

SLIM. Shear. Lift. Instability. Moisture.

• ?

1- What does it take for a tornado to form? You need a clash of warm/humid air vs cold/dry air, and often times you need a very strong wind sheer to cause rotation to form.

2- I don't know what mountain you climbed, but you didn't go from 90F to 50F temperatures in that short of a span! Temperatures will drop 3 degrees every 1000 feet in elevation! Lets put this in persepctive shall we? Even at the base of Mount Everset to the top, would be 29C/85F difference in temperatures, I can assure you that whatever mountain you climbed, was nowhere near that height.

impersonation...............

Yes you should head for shelter but tornadoes on mountains are less common. 

I don't know if that huge drop in temperature means a tornado could form, but I know that if you aren't dressed for 50, you need to find shelter and start a fire while there's still dry wood around. Fifty's not bad if you're in motion, but holed up, it's pretty cold.

• Mark

Hot, moist air and cold, dry air.